Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description Summary
Seeking a strategic partner for the Head of Infrastructure and Cloud Services (ICS) to lead financial planning and analysis. This is a critical role supporting new leadership and a new strategic focus on migration to cloud-based services. ICS is embarking on a multi-year strategic transition toward modernization of core infrastructure for Travelers leveraging new technologies and business models and automation that will shifts in cost from CAPEX to OPEX with key investments required through a self-funding approach over time. New processes, tools and analytics will be required to ensure appropriate governance and transparency on public cloud financials. This is a highly dynamic and exciting space supporting a key strategic cloud-based focus for the Chief Technology & Operations Officer.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer for Technology and Operations, and as a member of the Technology & Operations Finance & Sourcing leadership team, you will be responsible for Infrastructure and Cloud Services finance. This includes: financial and strategic planning, financial forecasting and scenario planning, infrastructure planning, investment and benefit evaluations, CBAs and commitment tracking, expense and capital planning, bench-marking and strategic analytics. You will directly manage a team of 7-10 finance professionals. You will also serve as a member of Infrastructure and Cloud Services senior leadership team as a key strategic advisor and represent finance for this organization.
Key responsibilities will be to:
- Manage monthly expense variance analysis and reporting. Create and deliver high impact management reporting to facilitate understand of financial results. Frame and track key risks to plans and opportunities. Refine reporting to include Run / Invest tracking and reporting on key strategic metrics.
- Lead monthly financial forecasting for Infrastructure and Cloud Services to include multi-year planning, annual planning, and monthly re-forecasting.
- Lead capital planning and forecasting. Work closely with service and product owners on capital refresh plans, new capital growth needs/demand management, and rationalization/sunset opportunities. Partner with procurement on contract evaluations and vendor proposal assessment and scenario analysis with budget and MYP implications.
- Lead and manage the budgeting and financial planning process across ICS, including aggregation of financial plans across the various service areas within ICS. Partner with service areas within ICS to understand service strategies over a multi-year period and articulate and frame associated investments, cost models and benefits.
- Lead quarterly charge-back review process with Chief Information Officers and their representatives to review charge-backs variances and forecasted demand/utilization. Proactively work with technology teams to identify unusual patterns and identify opportunities for expense management through utilization changes or different technology adoption.
- Develop annual charge-back planning based on forecasted infrastructure demand from each technology area. Lead process to assess year-to-year drivers of change. Work with ICS service leaders and IS Charge-back tool owner on rate analysis, drivers, and opportunities.
- Partner with Cloud strategy team to build out new processes and tools for Cloud Financial Governance to ensure appropriate spend approval, expense monitoring, and cloud usage/financial reporting. Work with team to develop financial KPIs for public cloud financials and appropriate financial controls to manage the spend.
- Build-out and support resource modeling to optimize workforce and staffing. Support analytics for sourcing opportunity evaluations. Support financial aspects of workforce planning.
- Lead bench-marking and analytics to understand efficiency opportunities
- Develop strategic analytics to support strategy and execution and support ad-hoc analysis / reporting.
- Build out process to support and lead investment planning, tracking and governance to include CBA support, looking at investments holistically to include full end-to-end total cost of ownership and benefit delivery across Travelers. Includes tracking of both investment and benefit commitment delivery.
- Manage and direct the expense policies within ICS. Instill expense discipline and ensure alignment with policies.
- Member of both the Technology & Operations Finance SLT and Infrastructure & Cloud Services SLT: (1) Strong partnership & collaboration with the Technology & Operations Controllers group and the other FP&A areas within Technology & Operations. (2) Active participation in ICS Op Reviews, Staff Meetings & Strategy Sessions. Not only being the finance representative but an overall business partner as well.
- Partner with the business segment finance communities to ensure full transparency on the expenses they are incurring within ICS. Proactively manage expenses and outlook with them on a frequent basis.
- Minimum of 7 years of related experience.
- Minimum 5 years of management experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting preferred.
- Typically 8-10 years of related experience.
- Thorough knowledge of Financial Analysis concepts, principles, processes and applications across all Financial Analysis functions.
- Thorough Knowledge: Possesses advanced knowledge of subject matter in order to solve unusual as well as common work problems and advise on technical matters and to serve as a resource to organization.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Advanced knowledge of the insurance business.
- Advanced analytic skills.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
- Advanced data utilization skills to access and gather data, including a basic understanding of what the data represents.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced time management/ prioritization skills.
- Advanced ability to solve problems and suggest solutions.
- Advanced problem solving and decision making skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Advanced influencing of business partners.
- Advanced business perspective including an understanding of the political nature of the organization.
- Advanced strategic planning capabilities.
- Advanced leadership skills, including delegation, employee development, hiring and retaining talent.
- Advanced project management skills.
- Advanced ability to think strategically.
- Identifies customers needs and takes appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Ability to work well in tight time frames and deadlines.
- Advanced ability to present material concisely.
- Advanced Leadership Skills, including ability to: Leverage Differences, Manage in participative manner, Develop employees, Manage change effectively & Inspire others and promote a vision.
- Understand and navigate organization.
- Align resources to accomplish key objectives.
- Establishes strong coalitions and networks both within and outside of the division/company.
- Promotes productive working relationships with other departments within the company and the industry.
- Advanced skill/competency level: Demonstrates advanced knowledge and ability; can apply the competency in new or complex situations.
- May guide other professionals.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment (Frequently)
- Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequently)
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
“How to Find a Job” Books
We may earn a commission if you click on some of the links below and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.
Do you have the right kind of job? How should implementation be staged? Where are you prepared to go for a job? What are the main goals of your job club? Is building culture possible with a remote team?
Defining, designing, creating, and implementing a process to solve a challenge or meet an objective is the most valuable role… In EVERY group, company, organization and department.
Breakthrough Remote Job: Earn rewards for answering questions on products you already used and love. Products such as Microsoft, Linkedin, WordPress, Postmates, Samsung Galaxy Phones, Air BnB etc.
Earn rewards for answering questions on products you already used and love.
Products such as Microsoft, Linkedin, WordPress, Postmates, Samsung Galaxy Phones, Air BnB etc.
I earn weekly for helping WordPress customers with their problems. My job is to reply emails, chat customers and answer questions, most of which we already have answers to in our HUB and forum.
You can join too as it is available to anyone of any age worldwide.
For too long our lives have been dominated by the ‘under one roof’ Industrial Revolution model of work. That era is now over. There is no longer a reason for the daily roll call, of the need to be seen with your butt on your seat in the office. The technology to work remotely and to avoid the daily grind of commuting and meetings has finally come of age, and bestselling authors Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson are the masters of making it work at tech company 37signals. Remote working is the future – and it is rushing towards us.
Why Working-From-Anywhere-Companies Attract the Best Talent: A Guide for Companies, Employees and Remote Job Seekers
If your dream job is not related to a location, an office or a cubicle farm, then this book is for you. Look at a job in a totally new way and start enjoying life while being more productive.
Employers will like this book and embrace working-from-anywhere to have more engaged employees, attract top talent and save big on the bottom line.