Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description Summary
Under general supervision, responsible for the profitability, growth and retention of assigned book of business within a territory that is consistent with overall business line objectives. Marketing and underwriting responsibilities typically include: Underwriting new and renewal business on accounts of moderate complexity. As a representative of the company, market to and develop relationships with agents and brokers. Working with other business units as appropriate to support market penetration objectives and seeking out cross-sell opportunities. Independently manages assigned territory. May occasionally seek assistance from a senior level Account Executive or manager on more complex accounts. Takes a portfolio view of their book of business to manage profitability. The incumbent in this job does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting and Pricing:
- Underwrites primarily moderately complex accounts and risks and considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security.).
- Uses good judgment in making decisions within own underwriting authority and makes recommendations on other accounts to meet business objectives.
- Initiates collaborative discussions.
Distribution and Agency Management:
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent with business unit appetite.
- Frequently meets with agents/brokers and insureds in order to build and maintain business relationship.
- Uses consultative marketing / sales skills and successfully employs a consultative selling approach to market products to agents and brokers.
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities and effectively cross sells market segment and Travelers products/businesses.
- Develops agency sales/business plan and frequently partners with MD to develop region/group sales plan.
- Negotiates skillfully in difficult situations.
Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Develops and executes on a plan to meet business objectives.
- Anticipates and identifies moderately complex underwriting/marketing problems, thoroughly analyzes available information and makes timely practical decisions.
Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Fosters collaboration within the business unit and across the enterprise. Seeks enterprise-wide solutions to business problems.
- Assists less experienced employees when appropriate.
- In addition to leading self, may coach less experienced staff members.
- May participate in the training of less experienced\ Account Executives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors degree preferred.
- In some lines of business, relevant agent/broker experience may be appropriate.
- Typically has 3-5 years of relevant Account Executive experience.
- Previous Construction underwriting experience preferred.
- Understands the local insurance marketplace, industry business operations, critical issues and financial drivers that affect the region and local office.
- Continuously seeks out market insight and uses acquired knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work activities.
- Uses acquired skills and knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal transportation.
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions.
Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen:
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment (Continuously)
- Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequently)
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Frequently)
- Driving (Occasionally)
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.