Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description Summary
Under moderate supervision, applies actuarial concepts and analysis to assist in achieving the company objectives for solidity, profitability and growth. Depending upon area of assignment, may assist in the development of rates, rating plans, individual and large account pricing strategies, determining appropriate IBNR reserve levels, financial modeling, reinsurance treaties, planning and forecasting based upon interpretation of underwriting results. Provide functional support as directed. Responsible for routine projects (i.e., loss tracking, rate level maintenance) and providing functional support as assigned. This job does not lead others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Must understand basic pricing, reserving and forecasting techniques.
- Provide basic level analysis of trends/factors/issues impacting Underwriting results.
- Management Info:
- Generate and update routine reports as requested.
- Perform basic-level actuarial analysis.
- Gather and assess reasonableness of data and identify discrepancies.
- Present findings to manager or upper-level management.
- Perform entry level programming in Excel, Access or other company software.
- Extract data from defined sources using standard actuarial methods.
- Compile data as requested by supervisor.
- Project Mgmt:
- Participates in routine projects and may participate in complex projects.
- Present projects to actuarial manager and/or senior level management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent education required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College Degree in actuarial science, mathematics, economics, statistics, or other analytic majors preferred.
- 1+ year actuarial experience preferred.
- One or more actuarial exams preferred.
- Actuarial/Analytic related internship or prior work-related experience preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Basic understanding of financial reporting, both GAAP and Stat.
- Basic understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Strong PC skills, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Word.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- BUSINESS ACUMEN:
- Strategic Thinking: Demonstrate knowledge of key business areas, insurance products and business areas. Generate and implement new/novel approaches to problems/opportunities. ( Introductory)
- Critical Thinking: Approach problems rationally; solve problems while exhibiting judgment, reviewing facts and weighing options. (Introductory).
- ANALYTIC EXPERTISE:
- Data: Use data sources appropriately; construct appropriate data set for modeling and analyses; correctly apply database principles, data profiling and reconciliation. (Introductory).
- Actuarial Concepts: Perform reserving, pricing and rate adequacy analyses; applies reinsurance knowledge; demonstrate understanding of risk management. (Introductory).
- Modeling Concepts: Chooses appropriate modeling methodology. Build models given data and appropriate modeling methodology. Assess model fit using appropriate validation techniques. Demonstrate understanding of how modes are implements/modeled. (Basic).
- Toolkits: Communicate technical concepts to non-technical audience; interpret results and connect them to the business; demonstrate tool skills including desktop and specific programming. (Introductory).
- LEADERSHIP READINESS:
- Learning to Learn: Learn from mistakes; pursue and use feedback, persuade others in negative/positive circumstances; handle criticism effectively. (Basic).
- Learning to Lead: Demonstrate a strong commitment to the Company’s success; understand the business beyond ones limited area, manage projects that deliver quality on time and add business value. (Introductory).
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment.
- Sitting (can stand at will).
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.