Modern Life and Learning is looking for a dynamic Chief of Staff (CoS) to help define and drive the strategy and key business and operational rhythms needed to ensure that we effectively execute on our objectives and meet our key results. The role includes driving and supporting org wide processes including helping define and track OKRs, finance, communications, events, and cultural initiatives. It will also include ownership of strategic initiatives and projects. Reporting to and partnering with the CVP, the Chief of Staff will support the CVP, be part of the leadership team. A strategic thinker, trusted advisor, and effective storyteller, the Chief of Staff designs, implements, and evangelizes programs and services addressing the needs of the team. Our team drives the Modern Life Customer Solution Area (CSA) and the Microsoft Education business. Our MLL CoS will help drive cross-company ROB and initiatives for these key businesses, and also help establish and maintain relationships across teams and organizations within Microsoft.
This is a business-critical role that will enable the right candidate to have a direct and significant impact on an organization directly tied to the Microsoft’s mission.
- Operating Rhythm:
o Lead and coordinate the organizational and business ROB (including FY Calendar, FY planning activities, LT meetings, etc.). Help reduce surprises by providing predictable conversations on key topics needed to build great products that meet business needs.
o In partnership with contributing teams across Microsoft, manage distinct, yet aligned, ROBs for overall Modern Life Customer Solution Area (CSA) and Microsoft Education cross company initiative. These forums should drive engagement and alignment. Additionally, manage how these initiatives plug into broader E+D and Microsoft rhythms including Monthly Product Reviews (MPR), SLT reviews, etc.
o Ensure the overall productivity of the CVP, by working closely with his EA, prioritizing meetings, defining agendas, preparing meeting materials where appropriate, and ensuring follow-up.
- Business Management
o Lead overall financial management for the team including budgeting, workforce planning and compliance.
o Drive budget decisions that support broader business strategy. Establish and assist in implementing policies and procedures that help provide efficient ways to manage with clarity and maximize success.
o Provide oversight, consultation, and advice to the teams within MLL on headcount, resource and fiscal planning.
o To establish clarity on our strategy, lead the process for defining, landing, and measuring OKRs for MLL and partner organizations.
o Partner on development of growth initiatives that transform the MLL business and drive execution against strategy.
o With a growth mindset, continuously look for opportunities to improve how we run our business, manage our objectives/key results, and derive value from our investments.
- Culture and People Programs
o Partner closely with HR and leadership team to identify priorities and drive strategies to meet organizational objectives.
o Lead a transformation that builds future business leaders. This includes running our manager community and providing opportunities for growth and development for the organization at all stages in their careers.
o In partnership with our culture and D&I teams, develop and support programs and frameworks that uphold our principles for wellbeing and help us put into practice what we teach our customers.
o Work closely with communications leaders throughout the organization to create effective messaging to internal teams. These will cover updates on strategy, progress against priorities, new programs/processes, and important team moments.
o Develop and coordinate cross-company communications for Microsoft Education and Modern Life.
o Create and curate content for both internal and external presentations.
o Drive external communications for the CVP to support customer engagements and industry moments.
o Help craft authentic and useful persona for social media, particularly LinkedIn. Share news from the team and celebrate wins and unique cultural moments.
- 10+ years of business planning and operations or relevant experience
- 5+ years of people management or leadership experience
- Bachelor and/or MBA/Masters degree a plus with focus on economics, finance, organizational management, business management
- Strong Emotional Intelligence capabilities and the ability to drive the team through positive motivation, humility, and empathy
- Ability to serve as trusted confidant on complex situations
- Proactive and independent in driving priorities forward
- Proven effectiveness driving complex multi-stakeholder planning processes; cross-team programs; and delivering results with clarity
- Strong project management and organization skills
- Ability to think holistically and strategically about key operational rhythms, communications, and programs
- Strong business/strategy acumen
- Passion and capabilities in people management with ability to lead both virtual (dotted-line) and direct teams
- Ability to simplify complex ideas into easy-to-understand concepts for executive-level communications
- Experience or related experience in any or all of the following: driving communications at scale, establishing culture, working with executives and leadership teams, highly-skilled presentation creation
- External customer facing, sales, or service experience
- Competencies: Attention to detail and structured thinking, Creative thinking, Conflict resolution, Customer Focus, Adaptability, Influencing for Impact, Strategic Planning, Judgement, Stakeholder management
- Professional Competencies: Strategic Insights, Analytical Problem Solving
Other jobs you may like
- Work in close collaboration with the MSUS Chief of Staff and Business Support & Operations Lead to ensure that the executive agenda is coordinated with the Rhythm of the Business (ROB), including key business planning activities. This includes a key role in the development of our Quarterly Business Connect insights.
- Manage the agenda for the US M&O Leadership Team, including regular staff meetings and off-sites; ensure communication and coordination between teams.
- Management of both the M&O Communications and CPE Functions. This role is a people manager of both the Communications Lead and the US CPE Lead.
- Lead and coordinate with the division’s HR Business Partner to drive the people rhythm, culture and morale efforts to make the US M&O the best place to work at Microsoft.
- Identify, document, and follow-up on issues, and help drive to closure to ensure overall productivity of US M&O organization.
- Monitor business processes and lead change management where necessary to improve process efficiency across the business management community.
- Support the CVP in the alignment of strategy and execution across US M&O and broader US community.
- Lead cross-division/company initiatives and special projects on behalf of the CVP, as assigned.
- 12+ years of professional experience in marketing, finance, project management or business management
- Demonstrated experience proposing, debating and managing executive level proposals and presentations
- Creativity in solving problems and generating innovative solutions
- Strong business acumen and analytical capabilities
- Internal and external negotiations experience with ability to work across organizational boundaries to build alignment
- Strong project management skills: ability to drive multiple high profile projects forward, effective leverage of all resources to drive results, ability to create excellent processes
- Well-honed written, verbal and creative communication skills, including ability to translate insight into content, create slide and written presentations, create overall communication plans
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; MBA preferred
- Location: Strong preference for Redmond, WA area