- As assigned by Senior Builder, manage the overall construction process of individual homes to ensure quality work (via Scopes of Work) Variance Analysis: that the home remains within the established budget, and that the home is delivered on schedule and to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining the goals of Ideal Homes through the use of construction systems, Trade Contractor and Vendor relations, and exceeding the customer’s expectations via the planned homeowner encounters.
- Accept all responsibility for knowing and understanding all of Ideal Homes’ policies related to construction, and to act on those appropriately with the necessary urgency to accomplish our construction goals.
- Always be aware of internal customers and the business relationship that exists with them in order to insure that all communications between development, sales, construction, closing, customer care, accounting and estimating is timely, courteous and correct. This will help us achieve our ultimate goal of satisfying the customer.
- Assist Senior Builder with community responsibilities that relate to erosion control on job sites and community cleanliness.
- Assist Senior Builder in pre-start activities of homes in communities (Builder Start Point).
- Assist Senior Builder in various construction activities that fall outside any trade specific scope of work.
- Assist Senior Builder in final preparation of homes to be delivered to the customer care department and then to the homebuyer.
- Assist Senior Builder in controlling construction variances. Preparing materials for returns and securing material on site.
- Assist on upkeep of existing field inventory
- Be diligent in learning construction practices and techniques from Builders and trade contractors to improve scope and quality of work performed.
- Assist on upkeep of existing field home inventory.
- Assist Senior Builder as requested.
The Assistant Builder, as well as any other Ideal Homes team member, should always be aware that his/her actions should reflect our company core values, and that these values should be considered in any interactions with fellow team members, homebuyers/owners, trade contractors and vendors. The core values of Ideal Homes are as follows:
- Integrity/Honesty: Being honest, reliable, and accountable.
- Quality: Building the best performing homes through our people and processes.
- Leadership: Inspiring higher performance from others through our actions.
- Relationships: Through respect, empathy, courtesy and responsiveness.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Keep FAST FieldView up to date daily as assigned by Senior Builder.
- Maintain a high degree of integrity and honesty in all business dealings.
- Be professional in dress, manners, and conduct.
- Be a self-motivated individual and displays initiative.
- Keep personal agenda and ego separate from business.
- Be courteous and safety driven. Maintain a good driving record.
- Be able to handle emotional and confrontational people in a calm and professional manner. Never lose composure.
- Be able to read and understand plans and specifications completely. Have a good understanding of land development plats.
- Maintain good relationship with all trade contractors, vendors, customers, team members, municipal inspectors and treat them with respect.
- Be knowledgeable of all applicable building codes, OSHA requirements, and other legal restrictions.
- Know and understand the performance criteria and construction standards (scopes of work) of each of the trades.
- Maintain safe job sites and report unsafe situations to the Senior Builder.
- Understand and enforce all agreements made with external customers in a fair and diplomatic manner, i.e. Trade Contractor Agreement.
- Understand role of the assistant Builder’s interaction with the following departments:
- Ideal Design (IDI): Notify problems with plans; to the Senior Builder
- Estimating: Help control and report variances, notify Senior Builder with proper documentation.
- Accounting: Be responsible for approval of purchase orders from trade contractors when jobs are 100% complete, as assigned by Senior Builder.
- Customer Care: Seeing that home is 100% when presented to customer care for the homeowner orientation. If any item arises from the orientation, those will be taken care of immediately before the home will close.
- Anticipate, prevent and solve problems (proactive vs. reactive) within his/her authority.
- Make quick accurate decisions when necessary and take responsibility for his/her actions.
- Be familiar with PPQ (Profit through Productive Quality) and use those techniques to help motivate employees, trade contractors and vendors to peak performance in quantity as well as quality.
- Understand the need for consistency in construction practices, finish quality and is supportive of all of Ideal Homes’ policies and construction standards. Make suggestions for improvement within the system.
- Attend all company meetings and be on time!
- Communicate with Senior Builder on ways to reduce building costs and improve quality.
- Understand and approve the basic material and methods used by trade contractors and assure compliance with Ideal Homes’ construction standards.
- Turn negative customer perception to positive customer perception by removing ego (not taking things personally) and fully explaining problems and solutions.
- Be knowledgeable of industry performance standards and use this knowledge when handling upset customers.
- Be knowledgeable of all standard features of our homes.
- Be knowledgeable of all packages and options offered by Ideal Homes.
- Represent Ideal Homes at all times in all places and maintain a high degree of integrity and loyalty to the company.
- Lead fellow employees, trade contractors and vendors by example. Walk the Walk!
- Be courteous and safety driven. Maintain a good driving record.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- As assigned by senior Builder:
- Counting and securing materials
- Return materials
- Attend customer meetings
- Pay trades and vendors
- Manage dumpsters
- Fill out PPI’s (Plan Problem Identifiers)
- Be responsible for quality work and customer satisfaction through the effective management of the customer process and use of Ideal Homes’ policies and systems.
- Maintain a clean home while under construction, including site, streets, and surrounding areas.
- Strive to be the most profitable Builder any trade contractor or vendor can work with.
- Notify and reschedule job for vendors and trade contractors if jobs are not ready for the next trade to begin work as assigned by Senior Builder.
- Evaluate and notify management of trade contractor and vendor performance.
- Walk homes on a daily basis!
- Be on-site inspecting during all concrete pours as assigned by Senior Builder. The two of critical importance are the foundation and the slab.
- Instruct, train, and work with trade contractors and others to assure proper and approved methods of construction and operating procedures are being followed.
- Be responsible for seeing that each job site has job signs, trash bins, and that addresses are visible at all times.
- Notify and communicate field variance to the Senior Builder so that appropriate action can be taken to prevent them in the future.
- Notify the Senior Builder of any errors in plans immediately to prevent any future problems.
- Coordinate the return of all excess material. Make sure credits are completed then send all necessary paperwork to Purchasing.
- Attend all Natural Team Meetings.
- Handle all negative situations and customer concerns in a diplomatic and professional manner while maintaining excellent relations with homeowners.
- Be responsible for implementation of all Ideal Homes’ construction standards and quality procedures.
- Review quality checklists, and work orders with each trade before the job is started as assigned by Senior Builder.
- Conduct detailed inspections of all trades when the work is completed.
- Ensure all punch list items are completed quickly and professionally. Make necessary repairs properly.
- Anticipate any production problems so production delays can be fixed in advance and homes do not lose time on their schedule.
- Monitors the construction progress reports to keep homes on schedule with key stages.
- Conduct detailed inspections of each phase of construction before any work is authorized for payment. Use the Ideal Homes’ quality checklist for inspection, quality control, and standard operating procedures.
- Review purchase orders and monitor authorization of payments to trade contractors and material suppliers by the accounting department. Make sure trade contractors’ work is 100% complete before authorizing payment, as assigned by Senior Builder.
- Fax in variance purchase orders (VPO’s) daily for all items which were not included in the original purchase order and accurately justify any reasons for variances, as assigned by Senior Builder.
- Keep all jobs updated in FAST and up to current activity everyday.
- High School Graduate
- Pursuit of a Bachelor’s Degree or higher preferred.
- Experience in construction processes desired
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Weekends as needed
Ability to perform job site visits on un-level terrain to verify condition practices & quantities. Also, the ability to drive to vendors & suppliers location will be needed
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to handle or feel and to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Must be able to safely climb ladders to check trade contractor work.
Job requires inside office work and on site construction visits. Must be able to work in all types of weather and various noise levels.