- Experience collaborating and partnering with teams.
- Experience with troubleshooting, diagnosing, maintenance and monitoring of computer hardware and server hardware.
- Experience with operating systems and networking protocols.
- Ability to lift and move 50 lbs of equipment, and work on platforms, ladders and raised floors.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Linux/Unix desktop support experience, including installation, systems administration and troubleshooting.
- Experience in project management and leadership.
- Experience working within a data center or network operation center environment.
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time.
About the job
The Hardware Operations team is responsible for monitoring, maintaining and deploying the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google’s powerful search technology. As a Data Center Technician, you’ll deploy and maintain Google’s advanced Data Center Server and Network Infrastructure. You’ll also participate in or lead local project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans.
In this role, duties range from the physical deployment of data center-related technology to working closely with the various stakeholders. You will help to ensure that our goals, missions and projects are successfully delivered, and, more importantly, that they are repeatable across our global array of data centers. This position offers a great introduction to the wider engineering world at Google. Depending on your area of interest, capabilities, and geographical mobility, you will have the opportunity to develop either within Hardware Operations or move towards software development, engineering, networking operations or our project management groups.
Our team provides global operations support for teams that have equipment or require services outside of Google Data Centers. We provide field and support services through a global workforce. The Data Center team operates sophisticated server, storage and networking systems. Our teams ensure that our customer service level agreements and availability goals are met while maintaining environmental and safety standards, at scale. We manage data center performance issues and outages to minimize the recovery time from failures, identifying problems while making repairs quickly in emergency situations.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google’s product portfolio possible. We’re proud to be our engineers’ engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Repair broken equipment, including servers, networking and storage devices.
- Contribute and lead efforts/projects in the deployment, maintenance and support of current and new data center servers and network infrastructure.
- Lead complex troubleshooting and resolve critical or escalated technical issues over a significant population of affected equipment.
- Configure and troubleshoot OS-related issues on servers.
- Install and maintain switches, routers, and other large scale networking gear. Help test and troubleshoot new server hardware components and designs.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.