Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
The Health team is focused on leveraging Facebook to improve global health outcomes, and the Epidemic Response team is crucial to our long-term success. In H2 2020, the Epidemic Response team is primarily focused around efforts related to COVID19. End-to-end success includes (1) building datasets/models for the pandemic (2) working with public health organizations to derive relevant insights from those datasets/models and (3) working with policy makers (such as government officials) to change relevant policies in response to those insights.
Ongoing work includes Symptom Surveys, which have been created in partnership with CMU and UMD, our Preventive Behavior Surveys, which have been created in partnership with MIT and JHU, and programmatic efforts to support Contact Tracing.
In addition to executing and building upon our COVID19 efforts, the DS will also be responsible for generalizing our strategy (e.g. surveys, visualizations, prediction models, datasets, partnerships) for (1) what datasets we create for future pandemics (2) what datasets we create for new areas where we can meaningfully benefit public health and (3) how external, non-FB data can help improve the strategy of our existing Health teams.
- Validate and analyze the data for the external datasets that we produce to shape our perspective on the accuracy and value of the data
- Work closely with partnerships, Product Management and cross functional teams and third party organizations (academics, global health organizations) to maximize the value of the data that we produce
- Identify public/private collaborations that can accelerate research/understanding around public health outcomes and the role Facebook can play here
- Generalize our Pandemic Response data strategy and ideate for additional metrics that can help us expand beyond our existing surveys and data for application for future global epidemics as well as for future public health causes
- Identify existing external data that can help form Facebook’s strategy in the Health space broadly as well as improve our already existing investments in the Health space
- BS, MS or PhD Degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Econometrics, or similar domain
- 5+ years of experience working in an analytics organization
- 5+ years of experience working with Health data and Health organizations
- Experience working independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
- Experience working with academia and public health organizations
- Experience taking highly ambiguous problems (including emergent problems in the world) and forming a structured opinion on what we should do
- Experience communicating effectively to stakeholders, including executives, external leaders in the Health space, and other DS on the Health team
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]