News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The Team: The Sun Online is the biggest mobile news brand in the UK – and still growing! – with a talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value.
Your Role: The Sun Online is looking to bring in first class news reporters to join Fleet Street’s most dynamic digital news operation. The role will be based within the news team, working on everything from agenda-setting scoops and exclusives to long-form human interest stories and breaking news coverage of major international and home news events.
Day to day:
- Produce first class news content
- Turn around stories quickly and accurately; mindful of IPSO and legal issues.
- Bring in agenda-setting scoops and exclusives that resonate with millions of readers around the world.
- Work closely with our global network of stringers.
- Independently build contacts to maintain a steady flow of original news stories.
- Write in a concise and entertaining way in keeping with Sun style but free from cliché.
- Work closely with our picture and video desk to tell stories in the most impactful way.
- Interview people in a range of different circumstances.
- Shift between breaking news stories and feature writing over the course of the day.
- Keep news desk fully informed of changes that arise as stories develop.
What we’re looking for from you:
- Experience of working on breaking news within a fast-paced newsroom.
- Unflappable under pressure.
- A passion for news and current affairs around the world
- Ability to independently identify exclusives and original feature ideas
- An awareness of SEO, social audiences and an understanding of how to recirculate readers within The Sun and keep them engaged.
- Full time availability across seven days – this is not a part time role.
We are a diverse team and strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential. We want to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised, utilised and celebrated.
News UK is committed to providing equal opportunities for all its employees and applicants. We oppose all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We thrive when we champion diversity and inclusion. We make better decisions, we’re stronger and happier, and it’s the right thing to do.