Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson’s Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Director, Cellular and Molecular Toxicology, Nonclinical Safety (NCS) located in La Jolla, CA (San Diego area).
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
The Director, Cellular and Molecular Toxicology, Nonclinical Safety (NCS) will be responsible for defining and executing the de-risking strategy for all novel therapeutics spanning across multiple therapeutic areas and modalities.
The Director is responsible for establishing cutting-edge scientific and laboratory capability within Nonclinical Safety with the goal of developing rapid issue resolution tools, primarily cell biology, biochemical, molecular and investigative in vitro models representing human target organ biology.
The Director partners with Project Toxicologists to provide strategic and scientific input to multidisciplinary Project Teams across the pipeline from discovery through post-registration with an emphasis on molecule/target discovery and de-selection, and issue resolution.
The Cellular and Molecular Toxicology group uses both internal and external (Contract Research Organizations) resources to generate data to efficiently deliver molecule and target selection and human risk assessment. It is anticipated that the group will work to establish/develop novel in vitro and in vivo model systems and assure a practical approach that enables insights to drive an understanding of potential human risks associated with candidates, pre-NME to inform internal decision-making globally.
This Director will lead a team of PhD level and technical level staff providing leadership, mentorship, and career development opportunities for his/her global team members. This role will be responsible for future capital planning, innovation strategy, budget, resource and timeline commitments for the group.
The Director will have a desire for learning and innovation, and continue career development through participation in scientific meetings, and increase visibility for self, Janssen R&D, and J&J through publications, participation in external organizations, and presentations at major scientific, industry, and regulatory meetings.
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, toxicology and/OR professional degree (DVM)
- At least 12 years of pharmaceutical/biotechnology research management or related experience in drug development is required
- Proven track-record in leading complex scientific and laboratory teams, including direct people management and laboratory management experience across geographies is required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, a high level of organizational ability and attention to detail is required
- Good communication skills, troubleshooting skills and ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment globally (US and EU) is required
- Strong scientific and technical skills in emerging cellular and biochemical toxicology, target organ in vitro models, and animal alternative assays as well as ability to propose mechanistic hypotheses, design and oversee the execution of experiments is required
- This position is located in La Jolla, CA, and may require approximately 20% domestic and international travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)