- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Government, Public Affairs or a relevant field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 16 years of experience working on government affairs for companies and/or within government.
- Experience in government and policy in the U.S.
- Experience working with and leading diverse teams and a variety of stakeholders, and in executing strategies to deliver exceptional solutions.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and sometimes stressful environment.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Excellent personal, political, analytical and communication skills and attention to detail.
About the job
As the Director of External Affairs & Strategy, you’ll design and lead Google’s engagement with US external organizations and advocacy groups across the political spectrum, in support of Google’s public policy agenda. You will build trusted relationships with these political stakeholders, and help educate them on Google’s products and policy priorities. You will work closely with other members of the US government affairs and public policy team to ensure a coordinated approach to these stakeholders. Beyond the external affairs work, you will facilitate planning, organization, and implementation of key policy priorities. You will be an effective manager who knows how to lead and scale teams in a growing part of the company.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Design and lead Google’s engagement with US external organizations and advocacy groups across the political spectrum.
- Collaborate to design and implement strategy to achieve Google’s policy goals in cooperation with congressional and executive branch teams.
- Build trusted relationships with political stakeholders, help educate them on Google’s products and policy priorities, advance Google’s mission and defend its values.
- Lead planning initiatives that translate business strategy into action by working with cross-functional colleagues to inform and influence their decision making.
- Manage a team of policy professionals working on policy challenges.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.