Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description Summary
Under general supervision, identifies internal communications opportunities in partnership with the businesses; leads development of strategies and plans and oversees execution. Partners directly with business, function, and initiative leaders to implement internal communications that enhance and support business objectives and reinforce Travelers culture and character. This job manages others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead the development, implementation and execution of complex internal integrated strategic business and function communications plans that directly advance business objectives and priorities while reinforcing Travelers culture and character.
- Advise and provides internal communications planning support to leaders.
- Counsels leadership on communications approach and employee engagement.
- Ensure that strategic business key messages are integrated into internal communications.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of business strategies and build them into communications approaches and materials.
- Utilize a deep level of communications expertise to ensure successful implementation of internal communications aligned with business objectives.
- Direct delivery of communications across internal audiences, partnering with content and channel owners to ensure a comprehensive and integrated approach.
- Identify and manage implementation of internal communications best practices. May provide input into development of best practices.
- Create and deliver internal communications plans using a variety of vehicles and channels for maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ensure that enterprise approval processes, templates, and brand guidelines are followed in the development of internal communications materials. May recommends guidelines to leaders.
- Measure effectiveness of assigned internal communications through qualitative and quantitative methods. Recommend changes and partners with communications team to implement changes.
- Share business and communications subject matter expertise with other team members; mentors/trains others on the development of communications and communications strategies.
- Manage team members and develop their expertise as business partners, trusted advisors and strategic communicators.
- Ensure that communications efforts are legally compliant, and cost-effective.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in a communications role.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience managing people.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or communications.
- Typically 6-8 years of experience in communications or a related field.
- General knowledge of appropriate methods and techniques for communicating with multiple audiences.
- Thorough understanding of business strategies.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Advanced interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Advanced presentation skills
- Advanced project management skills, with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, within tight timeframes. Ability to coach others to deliver projects.
- Advanced writing and editing skills.
- Advanced problem-solving skills.
- Advanced ability to work individually and as a member of a team (on team assignments).
- Ability to build productive working relationships across functional areas.
- Intermediate ability to think strategically.
- Ability to identify emerging issues in the organization, and external issues that could affect the company’s reputation.
- Intermediate Leadership Skills, including ability to:
- Coach and develop employees.
- Leverage Differences.
- Manage in participative manner.
- Manage change effectively.
- Inspire others and promote a vision.
- Understand and navigate organization.
- Align resources to accomplish key objectives.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- 1 Operates standard office equipment (Frequently)
- 1 Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequently)
- 1 Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Frequently)
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.