- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of experience with software development (including algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis) and/or systems design (including Unix/Linux, IP networking, performance/reliability).
- Experience managing a globally distributed team of engineers on projects.
- Experience leading dynamic engineering teams and collaborating with stakeholders across organizational boundaries.
- Experience with creative organizational problem solving and adapting to meet the needs of a changing and growing organization.
- Experience driving technical programs in software product design/development, machine learning, network deployment/engineering, or data center networking.
- Capable of technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and storage.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English with the ability to present and explain complex business or technical concepts externally.
About the job
As Director, Site Reliability Engineering, Google Cloud Core Networking, you will lead a large organization that is responsible for reliable operation, engineering, and evolution of Google’s internet facing wide area network (WAN), including intra-data center WAN, campus/corporate area network (CAN), and metros/metropolitan area network (MAN). You will partner with a wide variety of teams working in the networking space to set strategic direction, build the next generation of Google networking software and hardware, create the reality of a near-infinite scaling network for Google Products and Services, while balancing feature velocity with reliability and cost efficiency.
Google Cloud provides organizations with leading infrastructure, platform capabilities and industry solutions. We deliver enterprise-grade cloud solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology to help companies operate more efficiently and adapt to changing needs, giving customers a foundation for the future. Customers in more than 150 countries turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to solve their most critical business problems.
- Own, innovate, and create programs, new software, analytics that drive improvements to the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of a subset of Google’s products and services.
- Manage on-call rotations of engineers across continents, using a follow-the-sun model.
- Work cross-functionally in close partnership with product area leads from technologies up and down Google’s very tall and deep stack to guide product engineering to build fast, reliable, and durable production systems.
- Collaborate with teams building Google’s hardware, data centers, and technical infrastructure.
- Manage, lead, retain, and grow a team of talented site reliability engineers (SRE’s).
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.