- Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, Interaction, and or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of experience creating strategy and designing products.
- 10 years of experience leading teams and experience managing managers.
- Experience working with designers, and executives in product management and engineering.
- Experience creating a culture that cultivates talented User Experience teammates, solves complex design problems, and delivers simple product solutions.
- Experience providing key contributions to innovative, successful products.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to listen, articulate positions, and advocate designs.
About the job
As the Director of User Experience for Google Workspace, you will lead the vision for the Creative Collaboration Apps reporting to the UX VP of Google Workspace. You will partner with Product and Engineering teams to develop amazing user experiences. In this role, you will play a key strategic role in helping drive the future of Google and its role in being helpful to teams while working and learning from home. You will have a blend of product vision, organizational leadership, and a high bar for craft. You will drive collaboration, transparency, and clarity between multiple teams, and functions, while cultivating a culture of user-centric design.
You will be able to decipher the nuances of technically complex problems, and articulate and lead a UX viewpoint. Lastly, you will have an excellent product design sensibility, with the ability to create simple, elegant solutions for complex, data-rich workflows. As the Director for User Experience, you will help define and drive the future of collaboration. You will identify and set product strategy, envision complex UX ecosystems, and inspire teams to push the boundaries of what’s possible. You will possess a clear vision of the future of user experience and pursue forward-thinking design.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
- Drive a compelling product vision for the creative collaboration tools with Google Applications, working with Product Managers, Engineering, and cross-Google UX teams.
- Lead all phases of UX design work: distilling research, design ideation, prototyping, final spec design, and implementation.
- Make tough calls around priorities and stand for quality when products are not ready to ship.
- Contribute to strategic roadmaps with cross-functional leadership, and manage multiple complex schedules to on-time delivery.
- Attract, hire, and grow an excellent design team. Provide leadership, direction, and mentorship across a multi-disciplinary organization of interaction designers, researchers, visual designers, prototypers, writers, motion designers, and program managers.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.