This is a temporary assignment/internship opportunity lasting approximately 3 months.
Perform safety, performance and reliability tests on Andis Company products, competitive products and prototypes. Develop/determine the proper equipment as needed to perform these tests under direction of engineering staff. Tasks to be completed under direction of engineering staff members by performing the following duties.
- Upholds Andis Core Values of Excellence, Integrity, and Respect in all work related activities.
- Fill out requisitions for supplies with pricing for the Engineering Lab.
- Sets up and conducts tests of complete units, competitive products, prototypes and components for compliance with safety approval agencies from around the world. Approval agencies include UL in the USA, CSA in Canada, CE Mark for Europe, BS for Great Britain, and SAA for Australia.
- Sets up and conducts tests of complete units, competitive products, prototypes and components under normal operating conditions to investigate design proposals or to obtain data for development, standardization, and quality control.
- Reviews test specifications, procedures and objectives to determine what test equipment will be required. Investigate, recommend and implement new test equipment or test procedures as required. This will be done with the input of the appropriate Engineer.
- Tests to include normal inputs (voltage, current and wattage), temperature, noise, vibration, drop, force, run down, airflow, speed, reliability, and any other type of test required.
- Devises, fabricates, and assembles new or modified test equipment as required, with the assistance of the Model Shop, to test products per specifications provided by the engineering staff.
- Records test procedures and results, currently most reports are written in Microsoft Word. Formal reports must be written accurately presenting the procedures and the results. Reports need to be written on a timely basis as they can be distributed throughout the company as a decision making tool. The reports are to be identified and filed per the Test Report Numbering System. Test reports are to include numerical data, graphical data, and photographic data as required or requested. Recommendations for changes in product or test method can be given in the action section.
- Analyzes indicated and calculated test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives, and modifies or adjusts products to meet specifications per direction from the Engineering Staff.
- Maintain proper housekeeping in the Lab. Encourage clean – up when other associates are finished with their testing. Inform the supervisor of any instance where associates are not participating in proper housekeeping.
- Maintain test equipment including cord flex testers and temperature recorder.
- Attend classes in product testing, lab certification and data acceptance programs for accredited agencies (UL) and then implement the desired programs at Andis.
- Solder prototype models and modify circuit boards as requested by the engineering staff.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be enrolled in an accredited technical school studying toward an associate or bachelor degree in mechanical design, electrical or equivalent.
Ability to work with temperature measurement equipment and testing fixtures for repetitive motions. Working proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and using calipers and micrometers.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate will need to have knowledge of application of engineering science and technology and design techniques.