Who we are: Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 286 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Job Description Summary: An Engineering Manager in Experience will lead a team to develop in-app experiences at Venmo while maintaining and growing a healthy collaborative working environment in a fast-paced company.
Experience Engineering Manager
The Experience teams are responsible for our in-app experiences: anything a Venmo user can do in the app has been built by one or more of our experience teams. As an Experience Engineering Manager, you will be primarily focused on managing an 8-person team comprised of Backend (Python), Android (Kotlin/Java) and iOS (Swift) engineers who work together to build full features for Venmo. You will lead the team and drive initiatives to build clean, robust, and performant features in our Venmo app.
Things you’ll do:
- Motivate, lead, coach, and mentor software engineers
- Iterate with our UX and Product teams in an agile environment to bring features from conception to launch
- Collaborate with platform and infrastructure engineering teams to ensure the apps operate at scale and meet security requirements
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and shared knowledge. Advocate for development best practices
- Foster a collaborative attitude within the team and across the broader Venmo organization
- Manage engineer performance – leveraging strengths and ameliorating weaknesses
- Play a key role in people-related initiatives including recruiting, onboarding, performance reviews, training, career advancement, etc.
- Work with other Experience Managers to continue to shape and grow the collaborative culture of our office
What we are looking for:
- 8+ years experience in software development or a related field
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of software engineers of 5 or more
- Ability to understand and design large systems while thinking about tradeoffs, performance and best practices
- Ability to simplify requirements and help the team and partners understand the most straightforward paths to execution, balancing iterative processes, scope, resources and timelines
- Someone who cares deeply about growing a safe and collaborative environment
- Experience mentoring and developing software engineers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (must be able to give honest, direct, and actionable feedback)
- Experience in full-stack application development technologies (our stack is Python, Kotlin/Java, Swift, K8s)
We’re a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Other jobs you may like
Software Engineering Manager
Want to work for a company that is shaping the future of transportation and mobility? Ready to join a dynamic, playful, diverse, and mission-driven company that’s seriously changing the world? Have what it takes to change the way people think about car ownership? If the answer is yes, then join us at Zipcar!
What you’ll do:
- Lead a team of engineers to support our various missions while establishing strong lines of communication with a set of stakeholders.
- Act as a hands-on leader who contributes to the development effort while helping grow your team members.
- Drive technical discovery through collaboration with your engineers and implement software alongside your team members when necessary.
- Be deeply involved in the full development lifecycle: design, code, test, deploy.
- Have a say in architectural design and deployment decisions.
What You’ll love about being a Zipster
- Building a great brand, that you can see on the street and that’s changing the world.
- Collaborating with a team of helpful, passionate and technically strong software developers.
- Being part of a company that is big enough that we can achieve big things together, but small enough that you can make your mark.
- Our entrepreneurial spirit and a dynamic, fun and flexible work environment.
What drives success for this role:
- 3+ years of experience managing a team of UX and/or mobile engineers.
- 5+ years of experience as a strong UI (React/Angular) or mobile developer (iOS/Android).
- Understanding of REST architecture and API design concepts.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a bias towards action
- Mentor team members, contribute to architecture decisions and ability to conduct insightful code reviews.
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent.
What tops off the tank:
- Competitive Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability Insurance and other voluntary benefits through our parent company, Avis Budget Group
- Generous paid time off, including holidays, vacation, personal, sick, volunteer and Parental Leave options
- Up to $5,500/year tuition reimbursement
- Tax-free benefit for public transportation or parking expenses
- Bicycle Reimbursement program
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with company matched contributions
- Free Zipcar Membership and other employee discounts, including discounts on renting and buying Avis/Budget cars
- Community involvement opportunities
Who are we?
Glad you asked! Zipcar is the world’s leading car-sharing network, found in urban areas and university campuses in more than 500 cities and towns. Our team is smart, creative and fun, and we’re driven by a mission – to enable simple and responsible urban living.
Being a Zipcar member gives you easy access to a car nearby without all the cost and hassle of owning one. Founded in 2000, Zipcar disrupted – or innovated – the traditional model of car ownership and independent studies show that Zipcar’s model of car sharing is proven to reduce vehicle ownership, freeing up more city space for people. Zipcar provides members with socially responsible, sustainable mobility options that support the global environment, their communities and city livability.
Zipcar is a subsidiary of Avis Budget Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: CAR), a leading global provider of mobility solutions. For more information, visit: www.zipcar.com.
The extra mile:
We encourage Zipsters to bring their whole selves to work – unique perspectives, personal experiences, backgrounds, and however they identify. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer – M/F/D/V.