The EHS Specialist / Sr EHS Specialist is responsible for complex technical work within a wide range of EHS disciplines across Tesla’s Technology Development organization. The EHS Specialist / Sr EHS Specialist supports day-to-day operations and compliance by managing a number of EHS programs at Tesla’s reliability and test facility in Fremont, CA. EHS Specialists play a key role in maintaining compliance, ensuring safe day-to-day operation, assisting with non-standard work planning, the incident reporting and analysis process and working closely with leaders and engineers to develop and implement corrective actions preventing reoccurrence. The role is based in Fremont, CA, but may include travel to other sites as needed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support day-to-day EHS operations and management in Tesla’s Technology Development organization, specifically reliability and test.
- Ensure compliance with Local, State and Federal environmental, health, and safety regulations at all times.
- Monitor and audit regulatory compliance and EHS processes at assigned location(s).
- Assist with the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of EHS management system.
- Lead incident analyses to determine root cause(s), prevention, and corrective measures.
- Design safe workspaces and create policies for employees to follow that minimize job-related hazards.
- Provide support for EHS programs such as LOTO, Hazard Communication, Emergency Response, Fall Protection, Respiratory Protection, Hearing Conservation, Machine Guarding, Ergonomics, Providing education / training, Risk Assessment, Incident Analysis, etc.
- Develop and conduct education and training for processes, as necessary.
- Manage contractors, vendors and suppliers by enforcing Tesla’s Contractor EHS policies and procedures
- Communicate with contract companies regarding EHS related issues
- Coordinate with Global Shared Services teams (Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Compliance, Ergonomics, Construction, etc.)
- Develop and maintain strong communication between all organizations within site operations
- Advocate for EHS, driving a strong and committed safety culture throughout the organization
- Perform frequent combined safety and environmental inspections and procedural audits in the field and have the skills, knowledge and ability to take immediate corrective action if required
- Perform at a fast pace, with self-motivation, strong initiative and creative problem solving
Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of experience within an Environment, Health and Safety role
- Bachelor’s degree in EHS or a related field, MS preferred
- Building high-tech infrastructure and operational facilities
- Experience in contractor EHS program and site management
- Thorough knowledge of Federal, State and local OSHA and EPA requirements
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work in an extremely fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of OSHA, EPA, IBC, ISO, ANSI, NFPA, etc.
- Desire to do the impossible with a positive and professional “never say no” attitude
- Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively with staff at all levels
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to perform duties independently and remotely
- Ability to multi-task and perform duties in a collaborative working environment
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines
- Proven ability to learn new software programs
- Ability to prioritize activities according to changing needs in dynamic environment
- Ability and willingness to respond to site emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as needed
- Evidence of exceptional ability
- Availability to travel, if necessary