We are seeking a co-op in Boston to work on the Expressive Robotics project. We are exploring the intersection of Expressive Robotics and Autonomous Vehicles. The concern is that AV movements (behaviors) will be perceived by pedestrians and other road users as “robotic”. Robotic history has shown us that this will most likely result in confusion, specifically, confusion in understanding the vehicle’s intentions. Over time this can lead to frustration. This team is utilizing Animation’s 12 principles, and the latest research in Expressive and Legible Robotics to design a state-of-the-art approach to aid the AV community, pedestrians, adjacent road users, and society.
How you’ll make a difference
- Analyze data from a recent Virtual Reality study involving 50+ external participants. Produce relevance charts and graphs.
- Edit research paper planned for publication at a top robotics research conference
What you’ll bring
- A can-do attitude for a fun project focused on helping society!
- Ability to analyze data in Python.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis.
- Writing skills.
- Interest in Robot-Human Interface research, animation, virtual reality or automated vehicles
- Experience with research projects (a big plus)
- Experience with writing/publishing research (a plus)
Motional is making driverless vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
Our team is commercializing a world-class driverless system. The Motional team is behind some of the industry’s largest leaps forward in the last decade, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world’s first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world’s most-established public robotaxi fleet. Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group, one of the world’s largest vehicle manufacturers offering smart mobility solutions, and Aptiv, a global technology leader in advanced safety, electrification, and vehicle connectivity, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives.
Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the US and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.