Careers that Change Lives
The Minimally Invasive Therapies Group strives to enable earlier diagnosis, better treatment, faster complication-free recovery, and enhanced patient outcomes through less invasive surgical solutions.
SURGICAL INNOVATIONS sets the standard for Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) by creating innovative surgical products and services that focus on obesity and diseases and conditions of the gastrointestinal tract, lung, abdominal wall, pelvic region, and the head and neck.
A Day in the Life
The Hernia Regional Manager of sales is responsible for supervising Sales Representatives within their assigned region and achieving sales objectives for that region, while representing Medtronic in accordance with Company policies and AdvaMed guidelines. Regional Managers hire and develop new Sales Representatives in their sales territory, work with Sales Representatives in their sales territories on a regular basis, and review individual Sales Representatives’ performance. The Regional Manager is expected to demonstrate High Performance Practices and key Regional Manager competencies as they meet and exceed objectives for this role. This position will report to National Sr. Director of Sales |Hernia
Overview Sales Representatives selling activities
1. Manage and communicate individual territory sales quotas annually. Oversee consistent quota achievement of each Sales Representative within the Region.
2. Work with Representatives regularly to formulate, monitor and improve selling plans and all sales-related activities, in alignment with the strategic imperatives of the business.
3. Drive new product sales; act as a field resource to the Marketing Department during product development, new product introductions and evaluations.
Create and execute on strategic objectives for Region
- Align with Sales Leaders (AVPs and VPs) to prioritize Representatives’ time and focus on key opportunities
Focus and assist other surgical sales representatives on most significant growth opportunities
- Assist surgical sales representatives in establishing relationships and creating environment to defend preserve existing sales
- Attend quarterly planning calls with Sales Leaders and Representatives. Plan / coordinate other appropriate regional sales meetings
Report facility-level information impacting account targets to Sales Leaders (e.g. new opportunities, changes in procedure mix, etc.)
Manage Sales Rep recruiting and training
1. Interview, hire and develop new Sales Representatives
2. Conduct a 2-3 day field ride with each Representative at least once per quarter to observe performance.
3. Evaluate Representative performance, and develop / execute action plans for improvement. Follow up with written evaluation reports to the Representative through Salesforce.com. Focus on Representatives’ development to ensure availability of quality talent pool for promotion.
Ensure compliance with company policies
1. Manage and monitor regional sales expense budget. Maintain an ongoing assessment of expense-to-budget performance.
2. Attend required national trade shows; attend and staff local trade shows within the region as deemed appropriate. Coordinate as necessary with the Marketing Department.
3. Administer company policies and procedures to Representatives in the region. Ensure compliance with The Medtronic Guide to Business Conduct, Good Manufacturing Practices, and safety policies. Promote Total Quality Management and foster a “teaming” environment.
4. Support a safe and healthy work environment. Follow the established rules, policies and practices of environmental, health and safety with specific attention to the Medtronic Cardinal Rules.
5. Perform all other duties as required by the AVP and V.P. Sales & Marketing.
ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT FUNCTIONS:
Create and maintain key relationships
1. Selectively maintain relationships with VAC influencers at key facilities; if facility-level VAC exists, call on clinical and economic members.
2. Conduct frequent account planning visits, interacting on a recurrent basis (once per quarter at least) with key economic and clinical customers.
3. Actively monitor facility compliance (specifically within decentralized/centralizing IDNs); focus Sales Representative on accounts out of compliance
Coordinate with Directors of Strategic Accounts and peer SSG RMs
1. Coordinate and collaborate with Director of Strategic Accounts and peer SSG RMs on upcoming opportunities for products across divisions
2. Promote the use of wrap agreements covering multiple classes of trade and improving Medtronic’s overall business
3. Support Integrated Health Network (IDN) strategy planning, providing input to IDN- and facility-level opportunity assessments in collaboration with Director of Strategic Accounts.
4. Provide facility-level operations knowledge at IDN-level business reviews.
5. Communicate with DSAs on account’s compliance level and coordinate actions in case account is out of compliance.
Hernia Channel FUNCTIONS:
Maintain detailed knowledge of Hernia products
1. Maintain / gain thorough understanding of Hernia portfolio to include all other strategic focus products and key new products to be introduced.
2. Understand and effectively deliver AST (Hernia focus) and COT-level messages to all key stakeholders within a customer organization.
3. Focus messaging on clinical / technical benefits to aid in clinical selling.
Articulate and promote clinical advantages
1. Promotes execution of existing educational programs within the region and evaluates effectiveness.
2. Build relationships with clinical members of the VAC and other clinical decision-makers.
SURGICAL SUPPLIES FUNCTIONS:
Maintain detailed knowledge of SS products
1. Maintain / gain thorough understanding of Surgical Solutions products within the Hernia Portfolio.
2. Understand and effectively deliver Surgical Supplies and COT-level messages to economic key stakeholders within an organization (OR directors, Material Manager, VAC members)
Develop relationship and skills to perform economic sales
1. Research and understand hospital economics and key economic conditions / issues at major accounts.
2. Partner with Sales Representatives to build rapport with important purchasing decision-makers in each account
3. Conduct account planning visits, particularly with contracting and purchasing.
4. Collaborate with Sales Directors to manage facility-level conversions as contracts are won.
Must Have: Minimum Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree required
Minimum of 5 years medical device sales experience
Nice to Have
- 3 years of Medtronic sales experience
Experience in direct management of employees is desired
Successful completion of a Medtronic leadership development program, such as Emerging Leaders Development
and successful completion of a Regional Manager training program.
Knowledge of Energy and Surgical Device markets
Ability to analyze regional and sales potential
Leading and coaching experience
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)