- 5+ years supporting or optimizing critical facility infrastructure
- Comfortable with regular regional and global travel up to 30% of the time
- 2 + years experience reading architectural drawings, electrical one-line diagrams, and Piping/Instrumentation Diagrams (PIDs)
- 2 + years experience in a data center operations, maintenance, or business process
The Global Data Center Availability Team at Amazon Web Services is looking for an Availability Engineer (AE). The AE will be a significant and autonomous contributor, solving difficult problems, applying appropriate technologies and best practices. The role’s focus is on a major portion of the systems in the infrastructure architecture, both existing and new.
The AE will deliver medium to large technology projects and programs, which are time-bound, business-critical, and have significant SMART benefits, integrating systems for safety, security, stability, and efficiency.
The qualified AE will be proficient in a broad range of systems design approaches and know when it is appropriate to use them (and when it is not). Collaborating on project and program ideas with stakeholders and peers creating solutions that meet business needs without sacrificing data center infrastructure or engineering quality.
The focus is on operational excellence, constructively identifying problems, and proposing solutions.
Location preference is East Coast but open to alternative locations for the successful candidate.
- Direct experience leading data center / critical infrastructure audit engagements
- Understanding of facility best practices in physical security, life/safety, and fire protection & detection systems
- Basic knowledge of telecommunication infrastructure
- Experience authoring standard operation procedures or leading change management teams
- General understanding of business continuity planning
- Experience creating architectural drawings, electrical one-line diagrams, and Piping/Instrumentation Diagrams (PIDs)
- Experience with power or mechanical modeling software
- Candidates should have experience in prioritizing tasks effectively and working seamlessly across organizational boundaries
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills which reflect sound business acumen and accurate data acquisition
- Applied engineering knowledge and experience in the dynamics of high performance data centers in regard to variable attributes in system architecture such as availability, adaptability, capacity, durability, fault tolerance, redundancy & future proofing which may impact complexity of operation, budgets and schedule
- Experience in circuit breaker coordination studies
- Experience with AutoCAD, power modeling software
- Highly motivated, results driven individual
- Good command of three-phase power systems, mechanical heat rejection and cooling delivery systems, including Transformers, Generators, UPSs, Electrical Distribution, Chillers, Cooling Towers, DX systems, Pumps, CRACs/CRAHs/AHUs
- Strong command and fluency in English both spoken and written
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
- Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age