What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It’s our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Markel seeks bachelor’s and master’s degree candidates with the right combination of initiative, functional knowledge, and organizational and communication skills Insurance Underwriting Summer 2021 internship program. Interns work directly with our team to learn about risk management and underwriting operations in a global, publicly traded company. Interns will have hands-on experience within our profitable, professional liability operations. This internship will also include special projects that will be assigned during the summer and participants will be expected to complete “real world” work deliverables.
- Assist underwriters with preliminary underwriting by running S&P Capital IQ, SNL, AM Bests and Research reports
- Assist underwriters with preliminary underwriting by summarizing findings
- With a team, create and update specific account target lists for various industries and products (Fortune 500 list)
- Analyze Fortune 500 penetration and determine GWP vs limits exposed
- Update broker and client contacts into a single repository which can easily be accessed for RIMs, client outings and broker functions
- Create an endorsement library to name each manuscript endorsement and submit to PRS for filing
- Create tracking and reporting system for securities class actions from Stanford Securities Blog
- Provide checks and balances to ensure underwriting file compliance
- Sort bank data on FDIC.Gov which fits our community back appetite
- Assist TA with policy issuance, endorsements and invoices under the supervision of underwriting staff
- Create and update many other miscellaneous reports to monitor our business
- Assist administrative staff on file maintenance and Imageright functions
- Paid internship for full-time work from May through August (flexible)
- Multi-faceted, cross-functional exposure providing opportunity to work within the accounting, finance, and or internal audit departments of Markel
- Exposure to the accounting operations of a publicly traded company
- Opportunity to execute actual work deliverables and contribute toward team goals
We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style. The Markel Style gives us our competitive advantage. It’s our core value which underpins how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. Additional required skill sets include:
Current college student (rising sophomores, juniors, or seniors) pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Risk Management
Strong academic performance (3.0 GPA minimum)
Quick learner, with ability to adapt to changing environments
Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks independently in a high-pressure environment
Ability to interact professionally with a diverse group
Strong problem-solving abilities; keen attention to detail and commitment to meeting deadlines
Ability to understand how individual and team deliverables fit into a strategic roadmap, as well as assess and communicate changes
Ability to work in our headquarters in Richmond VA for the summer. Housing and relocation are not provided.
Will not require Visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Application requirements (please have ready to upload):
College transcripts (unofficial)
300 word essay describing how you have displayed the Markel Style
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and analytical skills
- Computer proficiency, specifically Microsoft Office
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.