Skills and Abilities
Prairie State Generating Company is looking for college students interested in a paid summer intern experience in the power generation industry. Participating as an intern will provide experience and exposure to state-of-the-art technology in an operating power plant. Student interns will receive industry experience, hands-on training, and exposure to industry professionals.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following (other duties and responsibilities may be assigned):
- Assisting with Plant Engineering projects which include optimization and improvement projects.
- Assist in project management duties.
- Assist in the plant project research and development.
- Deliver technical-based presentations to groups as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
- Enrolled in an ABET accredited chemical engineering program.
- Must be in good academic standing.
- MUST be available for a 12-13-week program beginning in Mid/Late-May to Early/Mid-August.
- Safety and health hazards associated with each job assignment.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to clearly communicate with co-workers, supervisors, and others.
- Ability to read and understand operating procedures.
- Ability to read and understand Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Ability to work unsupervised as required.
- Ability to enter confined spaces, climb ladders and wear respirators as needed.
- Ability to sit, stand, reach, stoop, and lift boxes weighing as much as 25 pounds.
The characteristics listed herein describe the work environment the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS. While performing the duties of this position, the employee:
- Works in an office environment, power plant or coal mine environment.
- Exposed to a quiet to moderately noisy environment primarily; very noisy and dirty environment occasionally.
- Exposed to industrial safety hazards occasionally.