EIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/V/Disabled.
The United States Postal Service (USPS) operates a complex logistics operation to transport mail and equipment between its mail processing and delivery facilities. While some of the local transportation service within the larger metropolitan areas is provided by postal employees, most of the network is serviced by highway contract suppliers. The complexity of the network requires continuous adaptations, resulting in requests for new service, or contract modifications.
- Serve as a junior administrator for an existing Microsoft Access databases/application.
- Experience with building or rebuilding replication scheme.
- Troubleshoots systems with other operations functions and application developers when required.
- Administrates organization’s database, using database management system to organize and store data.
- Ascertains user requirements, creates computer databases, and tests and coordinates changes.
- Interacts with development and end-user personnel to determine application data access requirements, transaction rates, volume analysis, and other pertinent data required to develop and maintain integrated databases.
- Ensures performance of database.
- Comply with other tasks or projects assigned according to the departmental and/or company needs.
- Document databases design and maintenance requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and apply critical analysis to problems and develop alternative solutions.
- Demonstrated experience in problem resolution and customer satisfaction.
- Provides excellent end user support with focus on excellent customer service that addresses technical issues and business rationale.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and able to hold a Government Public Trust position
- Must be able to pass full background check including drug screening (1-2 months).
- Bachelor’s degree in area of specialty (e.g. information systems, computer science, math, or engineering).
- Two (2) years of relevant database administration experience.
- Experience working in an Access environment.
- Excellent problem-solving and reporting/data analysis skills.
- Experience working with split databases; Front Ends and Back Ends.
- Workflow design experience a plus.
- Strong consulting and analytical skills required.
- Strong client relationship management skills required.
- Reliable and flexible team player that embraces collaboration and confidently gives and receives feedback.
- Must have excellent communication skills (oral, written, and presentation) and the ability to effectively communicate and collaborate on complex issues.
- Strong work ethic with emphasis on teamwork and collaboration as well as ability to work independently.
- Knowledgeable of supply chain management; specifically procuring contracts for services is a plus.
Project length 1 year with possible extension based on project timeline.
EIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/V/Disabled.
Other jobs you may like
Junior Database Administrator
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or other related scientific or technical discipline.
- Ensure servers are current with DBMS patches and security updates.
- Configure and tweak the hardware and software, perform integration testing, create and restore server images, create and implement plans to roll over the MDOT and MTA’s statewide systems from testing to production.
- Install and upgrade database server and other related software on the MDOT and MTA’s specified hardware to provide functional capabilities for the critical systems.
- Assist MDOT and MTA’s business side system administrators on database issues/errors and assist users and programmers with SQL queries and tuning.
- Conduct routine maintenance tasks on the database servers for proactive monitoring like deleting log files, dump files, error-correcting.
- Troubleshoot problems related to the availability of data to system users, space, database software, dataflow, and data storage or data access.
- Attend internal MDOT and MTA staff meetings as requested with the network team, project managers, business users, developers, and upper management.
- Work in cooperation with the current Network Management Systems contractor as well as other contract vendors and MDOT and MTA team members.
- Create or review Configuration Change Requests, Work Breakdown Structures, Implementation Plans, and Testing Plans for Microsoft SQL Server and Access database projects.
- Create or provide appropriate input for monthly project status reports.
- Participate in the creation of or review hardware and software requirements for database systems.
- Configure a backup job to run on a specified schedule.
- Restore data files or tables from a previous backup session.
- Performed other related duties as assigned by MDOT and MTA management
Knowledge and Skills:
Must have at least three (3) years’ experience in the following:
- Experience in Database administration with DBMS platforms including the management of data, tables, views, indexes, triggers, constraints, primary keys, foreign keys, rules, stored procedures, functions, data types, users, roles, logins, file groups, files, storage, Data Manipulation Language (DML), Data Definition Language (DDL) and other related items.
- Experience with DBCCs, ODBC, SNAC, Middleware, database, and transaction log backups, scheduled jobs, batch programs, scripts, performance, concurrency, security, redundancy, and other related items.
- Experience with different versions of DBMS, analytic and reporting services, mirroring, virtualization, and log shipping, replication.
- Knowledge of and experience with database architecture, design, development, and best practices including high availability, disaster recovery, normalization to third normal form, query optimization, logical models, physical models, referential integrity, and domain integrity.
- Experience with third-party database modeling tools (including Visual Studio for Enterprise Architects, Erwin, Visio) and other similar third-party software tools.
- Experience with specifying, installing, configuring, and supporting related hardware platforms including multiprocessor servers, RAID\SAN storage technology, and backup solutions.
- Experience installing, configuring, and utilizing server and desktop operating systems.
- Experience configuring and utilizing Active Directory.
- Experience with Trapeze software applications that are used by MDOT and MTA to support critical business functions for both fixed-route buses and mobility services.
SPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.