Johnson Controls is seeking a world-class communications professional to promote JCI’s profile as a global sustainability leader and develop an integrated public relations (PR) function around Environmental and Risk Management businesses. This is an executive role that is critical in shaping JCI’s external communications strategy.
How you will do it
- Plan, direct, coordinate and oversee the PR strategy for Environmental and Risk Management that reflects the company’s global leadership position in sustainability and helping customers manage risk.
- Create and execute the overall crisis communications plan for Environmental and Risk Management that includes crisis response strategy, stakeholder map, roles and responsibilities, and protocols.
- Focus on resolving a single environmentally-based set of issues that are both controversial and pose reputational risk to the firm or one of its subsidiaries.
- Prepare and deliver crisis communication training to all necessary stakeholders.
- Escalate issues appropriately and manage partnerships with both internal and external teams to problem solve and ensure that JCI is represented according to its’ values and brand promise.
- Leverage earned channels and select owned channels to ensure that JCI is valued appropriately in the eyes of customers, partners, employees, investors, the media, and influencers as the world’s most important technology enabled and sustainability-focused smart building solutions organization.
- Build on the media relations work to date and subsequently expand external attention on JCI, helping to generate a more consistent cadence of positive earned media coverage in key outlets.
- Develop and own the annual media relations planning cycle for Environmental and Risk Management, content calendar, and budget to ensure the JCI story resonates with target audiences and is consistent with messaging across the organization.
- Help drive thought-leadership content creation and programs to support JCI’s position as a sustainability leader in the smart building space.
- Develop an efficient, brand-driven approach to convert JCI innovation, thought leadership and customer stories into strong, ready-to-use, customer-centric digital and social media content.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders (including digital and traditional media outlets, influencer groups, etc.) and champion programs that grow JCI’s visibility, presence and credibility with those target audiences.
- Partner with and manage media agency-relationship to plan and conduct outreach to journalists, coordinate logistics, conduct research, oversee media lists, conduct media pitches, and measure results.
- Lead development of all media materials for Environmental and Risk Management including press releases, Q&As, website content, executive talking points, fact sheets, etc., in collaboration with external agency partners and JCI colleagues and stakeholders.
- Recommend external opportunities including media interviews, speaking engagements at industry conferences and other forums to showcase JCI thought leadership, messages, and SMEs.
- Develop and advance the strategy and voice for C-suite and executive communications including speaking engagements and media interviews.
- Prepare company spokespeople for media interviews and other engagements including training spokespeople and ensuring the company’s most frequent spokespeople are prepared to address key issues as they emerge.
- Identify core metrics, establish measurement plan, track progress and articulate ROI on media activities.
- Lead and mentor a team using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis and promoting a culture of diversity and inclusiveness, high performance, and learning.
- 10+ years of experience in one or both of the following:
- Leading a communications practice or major client in a corporate or agency setting.
- Leading a communications function on a political campaign or in government.
- Master’s degree a plus (Journalism, Communication, English, Business).
Johnson Controls International plc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/careers.