- 5+ years overall development/technical support experience, ticket creation and escalation
- 3+ years streaming video delivery experience running large audience events, and understanding of encoding and transcoding technologies
- 3+ years technical operational experience; support and incident management, operations monitoring, process improvements, and metrics reporting
- 2+ years management experience; including hiring, scheduling, training, and performance evaluations
- Experience with on-site, live video production or master control facility operations
- Clear and concise written communication skills, and experience writing project proposals and budget requests, process and training documentation, and technical papers
- Excellent interpersonal and customer relationship skills
- Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence
- Knowledge of streaming video pipelines and technologies, including encoding hardware/software (i.e., Elemental, ffmpeg, Harmonic) video delivery, acquisition, codecs, adaptive bit rate video playback, and common streaming protocols
- Experience with video quality metric tools (i.e. TAG, IneoQuest)
- Fundamental knowledge of AWS technologies, and networking concepts
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues, you’re a natural problem solver!
In addition to movies and television VOD, Prime Video delivers thousands of live events, including many sports leagues (NFL, EPL, US Open, ATP, AVP, PGA, MLB, and NBA) to living room and OTT devices, Windows and MacOS PCs, phones, tablets, gaming consoles, and smart TVs. Today, we serve customers all around the world, and we aspire to grow- a lot.
The Live Operations team delivers consistent, elite customer experiences which “just work” for everyday consumers. We build reliable, high performance live experiences, and we take ownership of the end-to-end live streaming experience- from the venue, through our encoding and delivery platform, out through PV’s client applications. Our team makes a big impact because nothing is more important to us than pleasing our customers, continually earning their trust, and thinking long term. If you crave a sense of ownership, this is the place to be.
Our Live Operations team is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, hard-working and operationally focused Operations Manager to support the fast evolving and expanding video eco-system behind PV’s live events. You will have an enormous opportunity to work within multiple systems, analyzing and identifying the common issues, and driving the teams towards resolution to have a positive impact on customer experience. This job requires you to hit the ground running and your ability to learn quickly and work on disparate and overlapping tasks will define your success. The role encompasses managing a team of live event Support Engineers providing production ticket support (tier-3 support, escalations to engineering teams) for multiple products and platforms, engineering development and testing support, and monitoring the health of PV’s live streaming pipeline.
As a leader on the live event support team, you will work within Live Operations to enable and execute the growth of the live operations business globally by recruiting, managing, and mentoring Live Ops Support Engineers and maintaining a high bar of operational excellence and efficiency. You will manage continuous improvement in quality and satisfaction by ensuring appropriate quality processes and defined success metrics that meet internal/external customer requirements. As an owner of daily live event operations you will be responsible for recommending strategies and systems that meet quality, performance and sustainability criteria.
Key job functions
- Manage the day-to-day live event operations team by maintaining a high bar for operational excellence and efficiency, including continuous team training and resource management
- Work as a leader within Live Operations to enable and execute the growth of the business by recruiting, managing, and mentoring Live Ops Support Engineers and maintaining a high bar of performance
- Promote innovation and provide clear and challenging vision and ensure that the right resources are in place to deliver.
- Define and continuously improve success metrics and perform frequent quality reviews
- Manage continuous improvement in quality and satisfaction by ensuring appropriate quality processes that meet internal/external customer requirements.
- Investigate and recommend approaches and systems that meet quality, performance, scaling, and sustainability criteria
- Execute multiple live streaming events concurrently; be the sole owner of many tier-1 live events for our customers making sure they have the highest quality experience
- Make in-room decisions as a call leader; organizing tasks between production, service partners, and directing other support engineers during live events.
- Work with senior engineers and other teams on high-severity, active support issues, prioritizing mitigation while investigating root-cause fixes
- Deliver event reports to senior leadership
- Act as on-call support and point of escalation for high-severity issues
- Aid in the development and testing of operational tools that improve efficiency through automation
- Customer notification and workflow co-ordination with follow-up to maintain service level agreements
- Creating and maintaining team specific knowledge-base articles and operational and training documentation
- Experience in a technical customer support role
- Experience in a technical QA role
- Experience as a Program or Project Manager
- Experience working in live sports
- Basic knowledge of networking systems and hardware installation, including server and switch configuration
- Background in developing and supporting new methods for live video delivery.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.