- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial, Mechanical, Manufacturing Engineering, or related engineering discipline, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience in manufacturing engineering.
- Experience applying Lean Manufacturing principles in production environments.
- Experience with Design for Manufacturing/Assembly (DfM/A) and advanced manufacturing process development.
- Master’s or PhD degree in Industrial, Mechanical, or Manufacturing Engineering.
- Experience with industrial automation and Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT) related to mechanical and electrical industrial assemblies.
- Experience developing manufacturing testing procedures and practices.
- Deep knowledge of industrial materials, manufacturing processes (fabrication, forming, welding, molding, etc) and assembly techniques.
- Ability to rravel (international + domestic) about 30%.
About the job
This role will be responsible for recommending the optimal design features and appropriate methods for ease of manufacture and assembly of Google data center infrastructure products. This includes research and development of innovative new manufacturing methods, materials and equipment to deliver repeatable, low cost and high quality data center infrastructure products.
You will work closely with Advanced Product Engineering and Product Procurement and Integration to identify and recommend third-party machine builders and manufacturers that possess the expertise and experience required to build and scale high volume manufacturing and assembly operations for complex mechanical and electrical data center infrastructure products. You are hands-on and motivated with intimate knowledge of manufacturing design tools like Design for Manufacturing/Assembly (DfM/A) and solid model CAD. You are a “go-to” resource capable of taking on high-profile projects on your own or mentoring and leading junior engineers through challenging assignments. Your knowledge of the global manufacturing industry and emerging manufacturing technologies is second to none.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google’s product portfolio possible. We’re proud to be our engineers’ engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Perform comprehensive and systematic Design for Manufacturing/Assembly (DfM/A) studies including leading workshops with cross-functional teams and applying CAD tools for design evaluation, demonstration and review.
- Research and develop new technologies for optimal manufacturing and assembly of complex mechanical and electrical data center infrastructure products.
- Collaborate with internal Design and Procurement teams to identify and evaluate new third-party manufacturers and machine builders with capability to scale, low cost, and high quality manufactured products.
- Procure prototypes and perform tests to demonstrate proof of concept and present results to senior leadership for concept approval and productization.
- Mentor/lead junior engineers in advanced manufacturing engineering projects and assignments.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.