Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Mechanical Engineer experienced in the design and operations of Critical Facilities. The mission of the Data Center Equipment Strategy (DES) team is to develop the best data center equipment vendors in the industry and to implement those innovations into our data centers in a predictable and repeatable manner. This position is full-time and can be located at one of our data center sites.
- Evaluate new technologies and collaborate with supply base to transform those innovations to manufactured equipment.
- Conduct pilot or proof of concept projects to evaluate benefits and feasibility of the solution for broader deployment.
- Develop strategic partnership with key vendors to gain insight into new product development roadmaps.
- Provide technical due diligence review and evaluation of new vendors, new equipment, new factories, and new equipment of existing vendors.
- Evaluate mechanical equipment change requests from both internal and external stakeholders and approve all additions and revisions of mechanical equipment to the Approved Product List (APL).
- Develop strong industry relationships with other data center peers and organizations to maintain current on industry trends and future directions.
- Assume the role of a “Subject Matter Expert” within Facebook for all Owner-furnished mechanical equipment used in data centers and provide technical inputs to other cross-functional teams within Facebook as needed.
- Up to 25% travel domestically and internationally.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of work experience in data center design, construction, operations, maintenance or R&D.
- Working knowledge of cooling system design and installation, including evaporative cooling, chilled water, and other cooling technologies.
- Working knowledge of water distribution system design and installation.
- Working knowledge of refrigerant-based systems and technology, including operation and code requirements/limitations.
- Working knowledge of equipment manufacturing standards and design.
- Working knowledge of industry standards, building codes and safety standards including IBC, IMC, ASHRAE, NEC, ANSI, NFPA, UL, AMCA, AHRI, and UFC.
- Working knowledge of international standards including IEC, CE and EN.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]