Medical Assistant, Reiter Hill, and Johnson
LOCATION: Chevy Chase, MD
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Clinical Supervisor.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for assisting medical providers in performing their duties and carrying out the necessary functions required in accordance with established policies and procedures. The Medical Assistant also performs clinical and administrative duties.
- Prepares patients for examinations (i.e., reviews medical history, documents clinical symptoms, updates medications, etc.).
- Records vital signs.
- Assists medical providers with exam and procedures, as instructed.
- Administers medications and injections.
- Performs phlebotomy.
- Collects and prepares laboratory specimens including pathology, urine, fecal and blood samples.
- Stocks exam rooms with supplies.
- Cleans and sterilizes medical instruments and equipment.
- Maintains safe, secure and healthy work environment by following and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Answers telephones, schedules appointments, takes messages and provides information.
- Triage, review, and route test results.
- Manages abnormal pap smear results for appropriate follow-up.
- Reviews backlogs for any pending test results.
- Triage outbound phone messages, both on paper and electronically.
- Submits prescriptions and authorizes prescription refills, as directed.
- Provides front desk coverage as necessary.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned.
The job holder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to the job position.
EDUCATION: High school diploma required. Bachelors degree or equivalent training in healthcare or related field preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Experience in a healthcare organization preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of healthcare organizations and practices.
- Knowledge of obstetrics and gynecology and medical terminology.
- Knowledge of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommendations and requirements.
- Knowledge of clinic policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of insurance industry, as it relates to clinical care.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation to type correspondence.
- Knowledge of in-office equipment (i.e., colposcope, sphygmomanometer, autoclave, etc.).
- Knowledge of ICD and CPT codes.
- Skill in computer programs, spreadsheets and applications.
- Skill in typing.
- Skill in conflict resolution.
- Skill in accurate documentation and recording.
- Ability to communicate (verbal, written and in-person) effectively.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to understand and interpret policies and regulations.
- Ability to prepare documents in response to complaints and inquiries.
- Ability to examine documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to manage multiple high-priority tasks and multi-task.
- Ability to collaborate and enjoy working with a team, as well as working independently.
ENVIRONMENTAL / WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an open office environment. Involves frequent contact with staff, patients and the public. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Work may require hand dexterity for office machine operation, stooping and bending to files and supplies, mobility to complete errands or deliveries, or sitting for extended periods of time.
If you are interested in this position as Medical Assistant, please apply directly to this posting or at www.advantiahealth.com/careers