Who we are: Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 286 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Job Description Summary: Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 210 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies. The consumer organization at PayPal focuses on new products and capabilities offered to the consumer segment of PayPal users. This organization is responsible for all the experiences and services offered to buyers and casual sellers. Some of the areas of focus are P2P payments, Incentives, login dashboard, shopping experience and consumer utilities like contact book and device management. PayPal is a well-known player in the payment’s ecosystem; one of the next big goal for PayPal is to tap into the pre and post transaction experience to provide a fantastic and engaging user experience for customers starting from purchase intent, pay and post transaction experience of order tracking etc. PayPal has invested $4 billion to acquire Honey to participate in a journey to revolutionize the shopping experience of PayPal customers. The goal is to create an experience for PayPal consumers and merchants a stellar shopping journey when they interface with PayPal. The goal set by business are quite ambitious, but doable with years of experience in the adjacent space of Payments. This would require a foundational redesign of the pre and post transaction experience in PayPal. The goals are, 1) Save consumers money when there is intent to purchase. 2) Provide a cohesive user experience that will please the consumer during the purchase process and beyond. 3) Provide a rich set of tooling to merchants to enable them to engage their customer in a value driven model where both the merchant and consumers benefit from the product. This position is for a critical product in the PayPal shopping journey. The PayPal shopping hub is the epicenter of a consumer’s shopping journey. This is the product a consumer would navigate to search for best deals, products and merchants. This product will be rich in content and highly personalized. The user experience would be across all channels in native experience. The goal is to provide a rich and engaging user experience. The goal is to create a product where this product can be changed without waiting for an app launch etc. to improve the time to market. We believe in lean teams delivering a lot of value, so you will be part of a lean team potentially driving impact for the shopping hub in the PayPal’s IOS application. You will be exposed to complex technology problems and will be exposed to technology like IOS client, GraphQL, High throughput no SQL stores, Cloud based services, exposure to other client tech stack as part of the development process. This also enables us to quickly iterate and do frequent brainstorming sessions welcoming new ideas and diverse perspectives to conceptualize new features. We quickly run A/B test experiments to make product decisions. One of the core values of our team is to learn from each other irrespective of what level you’re at. We believe in ‘One Team Behaviors’ and Innovation, Collaboration, Inclusion and Wellness are major pillars for our success.
The primary role of the IOS Application Engineer is to provide expertise and deliver code for the IOS application of PayPal that hosts the shopping module. This person is highly technical with experience working on IOS applications with scale. The candidate should be able to work on these stacks with relative ease.
An engineer working on this team will be exposed to some of the most complicated problems to work on, in terms of technology and business. Building the hub can be quite challenging in terms of define, design, build, deploy, test, monitor, alert, iterate to add functionality based on feedback with backward compatible, market pressure and the list goes on. The person should have an attitude to take the challenge and provide the best for the situation as it demands.
Beyond this, the successful candidate is expected to be multi-disciplinary, and is a multi-talented member of the technical team. The individual is expected to be a self-starter and a team player, with a strong drive for results and continuous innovations. The individual should be able to deliver work with minimal supervision.
- Work as full-time developer in the team.
- Redefine PayPal’s mobile shopping experience. Develop and maintain high performing, reusable Swift or Objective-C code.
- Follow coding standards and guidelines with great attention to performance, scalability, and availability.
- Stay current with the newest mobile technologies; research new technologies and make recommendations on implementations.
- Ability to represent Shopping hub engineering to the PayPal organization.
- Mentor juniors in the team and help them to sharpen their technical finesse.
- Ability to reduce tech-debt and have a plan to remove them from the system.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision in a team to define, design, implement, test, release rollout and support software applications for PayPal.
- Work with product owners to crystallize the technical needs during grooming and planning meetings.
- Work with engineering managers, engineers and QA to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs w.r.t functionality, performance, reliability, realistic implementations schedules and adherence to development goals and principles.
- Develop new team capabilities to ensure continued competence and relevance in supporting software development needs of PayPal’s business.
- Define and devise processes, tools and methodologies to achieve excellence in software development, testing and deployment.
- Follow the team processes like Agile etc.
- BE in Computer Science or Engineering and 5-6+ years related industry experience
- 3 years of IOS development experience
Highly competent hands-on experience in the following:
- Solid Swift or Objective-C programming skills.
- Solid understanding of IOS UI design principles, patterns, and best practices.
- Experience building IOS applications connected to RESTful APIs.
- Practical knowledge on the IOS architecture.
- Solid knowledge of algorithms with good problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team.
- Experience with a version control system (GIT, SVN, CVS, etc).
- Highly analytical, innovative, and able to think strategically and to develop comprehensive detailed specifications
- Excellent verbal and writing skills; ability to produce clear, concise communications and documentation
- Highly effective at working in cross-functional groups and getting results in matrix organizations
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work on concurrent assignments with different priorities
- Working knowledge of shopping industry standards and practices preferred
We’re a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.