Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
As an Opto-Mechanical Engineer at Facebook, you will take a critical role in developing AR & VR Systems. You will become part of a team exploring new concepts through mechanical design, optical modeling, and fast iterative prototyping. A wide range of approaches will be explored combining electrical, mechanical, optical, firmware, and software techniques. We want people who work well in teams, can brainstorm big ideas, work in new technology areas, are able to drive a concept into a prototype, and mature designs to a high-volume consumer product solution. We are looking for someone with a productive mindset who can apply their mechanical and optical engineering expertise to solve problems in creative, insightful ways. Our ideal candidate has a strong fundamental engineering background, prototyping experience, 3D CAD capability, and experience designing and manufacturing consumer technology products.
- Drive development of opto-mechanical system requirements for advanced imaging and camera system technologies
- Model, build, test, and refine prototypes and characterization test systems
- Work across the full product development cycle, from concept inception to shipping product
- Work with vendors worldwide
- Push state of the art technologies and approaches to solving complex mechanical problems
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of mechanical engineering experience in high-volume consumer electronics product development
- Knowledge of material properties such as plastics, metal, adhesive, glass, PCBA, and flex circuit
- Knowledge and application of GD&T techniques and knowledge of associated metrology approaches
- Knowledge of high-volume manufacturing techniques (Stamping, machining, 3D printing, injection molding, etc.)
- Experience in 3D design modeling (NX, SolidWorks, or Creo) and physical prototyping
- Experience in testing and analysis (FEA, Simulation, Zemax, Ray Tracing, etc.)
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]