Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Performance and Capacity Engineer Intern to join the Capacity Engineering & Analysis team to focus on future performance and capacity scaling problems. This person would be required to cross-functionally work with a number of teams to ensure efficient operation and growth of our computing resources from both a cost and technology perspective.
- Explore and develop novel solutions to scale the largest web capacity in the world: work with Services, Product, Data, and Infrastructure teams to scale the data center infrastructure including tens of billions of user requests, hundreds of petabytes of data, and thousands of giga bps of network flow
- Perform research and make recommendations aimed at tackling state-of-the-art hardware and software performance issues (e.g., optimize product/service performance, reduce resource consumption and shorten request latency, etc.)
- Provide deep visibility into Facebook products and services: Run capacity and performance experiments to determine scaling and utilization parameters for various service tiers
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or related field
- Publications in top-tier conferences/journals or experience in artificial intelligence, machine learning, computer architecture, operating systems, data center technologies, performance analysis, workload characterization, or related field
- Experience in leveraging theoretical and empirical research to solve problems
- Ability to communicate complex research in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Coding and scripting proficiency
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]