- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 7 years of external communications experience in a corporate or policy setting.
- Experience managing a team.
- Experience managing communications around complex issues.
- Corporate, product or policy communications experience.
- Experience in building communications programs from the ground up.
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
About the job
As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders; devise specific communications materials and campaigns; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; and develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns. We’re looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.
Search is core to our identity and mission to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. In this role, you will be responsible for shaping stories around how Google Search works and how we deliver excellent information to people around the world. You’ll work with product and other cross-functional teams to communicate Google’s philosophy and responsible approach to information access.
We help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders-and our own employees-about the benefits of Google’s products, our distinctive company culture/values and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. You are quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious. To succeed in this role, you are willing to try new things and can manage numerous projects with tight deadlines. Things happen quickly at Google, and to do great work, you need to be an enthusiastic team player who can work cross-functionally with partners across PR, comms, marketing, product and beyond.
- Work closely with executives and cross-functional teams as a communications lead for Google Search.
- Develop and refine our narrative to help people understand how Google responsibly innovates and works to connect people with high quality, reliable information from across the web.
- Devise press strategies and provide communications guidance related to Search’s approach to information quality and enabling open access to information, supporting the product team and developing compelling communications materials.
- Create proactive campaigns and programs to help people learn how Search works and how it can be a useful tool for understanding the world.
- Develop and maintain close, productive relationships with journalists, key partners and influencers in the tech, business and policy press. Represent Google as a company spokesperson, and understand the intricacies of the broader web ecosystem and Google’s role in this space.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.