Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an exciting career opportunity for a Principal Airworthiness Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals; and to work on an exciting new program. This position will be located in Melbourne, FL at our Manned Aircraft Design COE (Center of Excellence).
Candidates will have experience in one or more of the following MH-516 sections: Landing Gear, Propulsion, Crew Systems, Structures, VMS, Avionics, Mechanisms, Computer Resources, Armament Stores, Hydraulics, ECS, Electrical Systems, EEE, Weapons, Systems Engineering, or Fuel & Fire.
- Performs technical airworthiness planning and verification support including development and negotiation of airworthiness plans, basis of certifications, means of compliance, and certification activities for complex total systems with IPT/REs as well as customer counterparts.
- Review and coordination with other airworthiness engineers as well as internal engineering disciplines performed at all levels of total system to include design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal.
- Performs functional and process analyses, requirements allocation and definition studies to translate customer requirements into criteria and requirements. Ensures the logical and systematic realization of customer airworthiness requirements into system solutions to meet program objectives (e.g. Flight releases, Type certification, continued airworthiness, and operation or airspace integration)
The selected candidate should thrive in a fast-paced work environment with high expectations, significantly diverse assignments, collaborative/team settings across all levels
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) discipline from an accredited university and 5 years of engineering experience OR Master’s Degree in a STEM discipline and 3 years of engineering experience.
- Demonstrated work experience in manned or unmanned aircraft systems with technical airworthiness planning and verification support including development and negotiation of airworthiness plans, basis of certifications, means of compliance, and certification activities.
- A current active in-scope U.S. Government DoD Secret security clearance is required to start with the ability to obtain and maintain Special Program Access (SAP/PAR).
- Master’s Degree in a STEM discipline from an accredited university.
- Experience with DoD, Military or Civil Airworthiness experience.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and the ability to interface with all levels of employees and management
- Military aircraft development or modification experience
- Ability to initiate Airworthiness Certification process improvement initiatives
- Design and Systems Engineering experience in one or more of the following areas: Structures, Flight Technology, Air Vehicle Subsystems, Avionics, Mission Payload Integration, System Safety, Flight Test
- Familiarity of MIL-HDBK-516B Expanded and -516C
- Experience with one or more of the following: MIL-STDs-1797, 810, 1530, 3013, 882E, 1796
- USAF Airworthiness Policy Directives, Instructions, and Airworthiness Bulletins (AWB)
- System Safety Risk Assessments (SSRA), program risks and hazard analyses.
- A current U.S. Government DoD Top Secret/SCI level security clearance, to include a Single Scope Background Investigation, a periodic reinvestigation, or an original adjudication date completed within the last 6 years.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.