We are looking for a Mechanical Architect at Senior or Principal level with deep experience in mechanical product design in fast-paced product development cycles. Ability to balance complex projects and design rigor against an aggressive timeline is required. Must demonstrate a strong mix of innovative design capability, technical depth, system-level mindset and partnering skills to work seamlessly across various engineering functions and geographies. A track record of mechanical architecture work through the full product cycle and leading teams in complex consumer electronics product development is required. Understanding cross-functional tradeoffs and driving product requirements resolution should be a core competency.
- Lead the hardware definition of next generation products
- Work with internal and external partners to help generate strong technical proposals to send out for quote
- Collaborate with Industrial Design & User experience, electrical engineering, HW subsystems, NPI and manufacturing, hardware verification, and many other engineering and design disciplines to optimize the overall system of the product from concept to RFQ
- Be the technical champion for our products and the experience
- May be called on to design, build and test rapid prototypes for evaluation of new product ideas or technology concepts.
- Review partner proposals for technical feasibility and help to ascertain risk to develop the program
- Develop project documentation including specifications, schedules and presentations to meet requirements and communicate the product design to internal and external partner.
- Be a key voice in supplier selection for working on a new product.
- Help with problems that are proving a significant challenge for other teams or partners.
- B.S. Mechanical engineering, M.S. or PhD in related engineering discipline preferred.
- 10+ or more years of product development experience, with at least 5 years designing assemblies and complex parts for electronic devices
- Experience with high-volume manufacturing and working with overseas suppliers
- Mechanical architect of at least 2 complex products that successfully reached volume production
- PTC Creo or equivalent CAD modeling skills
- Proficient with statistical analysis
- In-depth knowledge of mechanical tolerance analysis and Design of Experiment Techniques. Green Belt or Black Belt preferred
- Demonstrated experience with challenging form factors and Industrial Design
- Deep understanding of all manufacturing process related to consumer products including injection molding, Thixo-molding, stamping, die-casting, CNC, MIM
- Knowledgeable of material properties of plastic resins, metals, glass, adhesives, textiles
- Strong problem solving and debug and failure analysis skills with a solid understanding of core engineering principles, and analytical techniques.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to clearly express technical concepts in verbal and written forms at the executive level
- Proven track record of thought leadership and influencing product design and direction
- Design for manufacturing and test experience in a high volume manufacturing environment preferred.
- Domestic and international travel will be required.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.