Associate Consultant, Social Impact
THE TEMBO GROUP, an APCO Worldwide Company
Tembo is a unique consultancy, focused exclusively on social impact and motivated solely by our desire to address the challenges and inequities we see in the world. Tembo provides strategic support to philanthropists, companies and non-profits looking to build, enhance or launch a significant social impact effort. We design corporate social responsibility programs, build new philanthropic organizations, and drive narratives that change the discourse around pressing issues. For every client engagement, we build bespoke, interdisciplinary teams, and provide the oversight and management needed for flawless execution.
As an APCO Worldwide company, we sit among over 800 colleagues in 30 offices worldwide. APCO Worldwide is an advisory and advocacy communications consultancy helping leading public and private sector organizations navigate the challenges of today, act with agility, anticipate social risk, and build organizational reputations, relationships and solutions to succeed. We meet the evolving needs of executives and their teams in communications, public affairs, government relations, legal, risk, organizational transformation, international relations, corporate responsibility and brand marketing. APCO is an independent and majority women-owned business.
The Associate Consultant for Social Impact will be joining the small, energetic, start-up team that is building a social impact practice within APCO Worldwide and working alongside our clients to support their efforts to ignite transformational change. You can expect that no day will be the same, there will be limitless opportunities for creativity, and a lot of hard work.
The Associate Consultant will provide support to senior leaders on client work and internal, business-building projects. She/he/they will serve a critical role in contributing to and ensuring the team properly prepares for client deliverables and client proposals. They will also lead on research projects that significantly impact the team’s ability to provide strategic counsel to clients and internal stakeholders. This is an ideal position for someone who works well in a small team, is motivated by making an impact, understands the strategic value of thorough research, has a love for structure and sound writing, and is detail-oriented. A BA or BS in a related field or an advanced degree is required for this position.
This position will report to The Tembo Group’s Managing Director and work closely alongside the leadership team of APCO Worldwide and individual client engagement managers.
- Support the ongoing growth of The Tembo Group and the social impact practice within APCO Worldwide, including supporting the new business process;
- Provide start to finish support on client projects, including performing comprehensive research, drawing out key themes for the team as well as assisting with proposals, presentations and final deliverables;
- Drive the development and distribution of a regular external media scan, analyzing key industry trends and news stories on social impact;
- Conduct and compile competitive analyses, issue briefs, and other specific research products on various industries, project areas and geographies you don’t necessarily have deep expertise in.
- Act as a sponge, absorbing knowledge from your colleagues to better understand how we approach roadblocks and find solutions that further our clients’ mission and impact.
- Contribute to weekly problem-solving sessions to align on client work planning, facilitate decision-making, iterate on solutions and find work-arounds as needed (both internal and with clients);
- Support research interviews by developing interviewee lists, create interview question guides, join interviews for note-taking purposes, and summarize key takeaways.
- You have 2-4 years of experience in relevant industries including management consulting, communications, research, social impact, NGO/Nonprofit; corporate responsibility and/or philanthropy;
- You have a BA/BS in a related field or an advanced degree,
- You’re passionate about impact driven work and are excited by the opportunity to work with clients who are striving to integrate profit & purpose;
- You thrive in complexity, are a natural problem-solver, and dig deep for patterns and paths, even amidst a great deal of ambiguity;
- You aren’t afraid to ask questions when you need clarity and are willing to challenge both your own and our perspectives;
- You can navigate complex research projects, absorb and synthesize large amounts of information, confidently draw conclusions from your research, and put them into clear recommendations and points for the team;
- You are detail oriented, well-organized and enjoy bringing structure to projects through work-planning, list-making and “managing up”;
- You can work independently but are personable, a good listener and connect easily with others, making you a great team player;
- You are a strong writer;
- You enjoy the variety and sometimes-chaos of contributing to a wide range of client projects.
- You are in a position to effectively work in a remote setting across time zones and have a high level of proficiency with MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.