What you’ll be doing…
The mission of the Verizon Public Sector Media Relations Manager is to drive excellence in earned media coverage, message consistency in all external communications with members of the media, and other internal and external partners including agencies.
The Public Sector Media Relations Manager will live at the intersection of media, politics and technology, and the customers we serve: education, state, local and federal government agencies. In partnership with the business unit team, the media relations specialist will be responsible for furthering brand awareness and thought leadership in key media outlets and with reporters covering the public sector. The role reports to the Verizon Public Sector Communications Director.
- Bring strong and trusting relationships with reporters, editors and other thought leaders/influencers.
- Develop and effectively communicate compelling story angles for media pitches.
- Identify technology and public sector trends to mine for media opportunities.
- Communicate regularly with senior executive clients and agency partners.
- Monitor and evaluate competitive media intelligence and suggest counter strategies.
- Prepare spokespeople with comprehensive background materials and staff media interviews.
What we’re looking for…
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with pitching media in multiple segments.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or public relations.
- Experience utilizing digital and social media channels to reach a specific audience.
- Experience managing multiple projects at once and seeing each to fruition with strong results.
- A curated digital rolodex of media contacts -technology, government and business.
- Writing, editing and verbal communications skills with great attention to detail.
- Experience supporting communications for a government agency (state, local, federal, education, public safety) or adjacent organization.
- Experience supporting a team of diverse executives and client teams.
- Experience presenting in front of high-level executives.
- Willingness to work flexible hours as-needed.
- Experience working in crisis communications situations.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, technology leadership role.
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
Diversity and Inclusion at Verizon
At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
“How to Find a Job” Books
We may earn a commission if you click on some of the links below and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.
Do you have the right kind of job? How should implementation be staged? Where are you prepared to go for a job? What are the main goals of your job club? Is building culture possible with a remote team?
Defining, designing, creating, and implementing a process to solve a challenge or meet an objective is the most valuable role… In EVERY group, company, organization and department.
Breakthrough Remote Job: Earn rewards for answering questions on products you already used and love. Products such as Microsoft, Linkedin, WordPress, Postmates, Samsung Galaxy Phones, Air BnB etc.
Earn rewards for answering questions on products you already used and love.
Products such as Microsoft, Linkedin, WordPress, Postmates, Samsung Galaxy Phones, Air BnB etc.
I earn weekly for helping WordPress customers with their problems. My job is to reply emails, chat customers and answer questions, most of which we already have answers to in our HUB and forum.
You can join too as it is available to anyone of any age worldwide.
For too long our lives have been dominated by the ‘under one roof’ Industrial Revolution model of work. That era is now over. There is no longer a reason for the daily roll call, of the need to be seen with your butt on your seat in the office. The technology to work remotely and to avoid the daily grind of commuting and meetings has finally come of age, and bestselling authors Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson are the masters of making it work at tech company 37signals. Remote working is the future – and it is rushing towards us.
Why Working-From-Anywhere-Companies Attract the Best Talent: A Guide for Companies, Employees and Remote Job Seekers
If your dream job is not related to a location, an office or a cubicle farm, then this book is for you. Look at a job in a totally new way and start enjoying life while being more productive.
Employers will like this book and embrace working-from-anywhere to have more engaged employees, attract top talent and save big on the bottom line.