WELCOME TO SHERWIN-WILLIAMS
Founded in 1866, The Sherwin-Williams Company is a global leader in the manufacture, development, distribution, and sale of paints, coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial, and retail customers. The company manufactures products under well-known brands such as Sherwin-Williams®, Valspar®, HGTV HOME® by Sherwin-Williams, Dutch Boy®, Krylon®, Minwax®, Thompson’s® Water Seal®, Cabot® and many more. Sherwin-Williams® branded products are sold exclusively through a chain of more than 4,100 company-operated stores and facilities, while the company’s other brands are sold through leading mass merchandisers, home centers, independent paint dealers, hardware stores, automotive retailers, and industrial distributors. The company supplies a broad range of highly-engineered industrial and OEM coatings for wood and general industrial, coil, packaging, protective and marine, and transportation applications worldwide. Our 60,000 employees are diverse, innovative and passionate. With a variety of rewarding and challenging opportunities, Sherwin-Williams is a great place to find a career that takes you places.
An employee in this job position performs a variety of technical research, development, and tests on products and samples. Responsibilities may include analyzing basic formulas, performing calculations, and preparing and testing a range of technologies and methods. The technician will be involved in the efficient operation of the lab, general housekeeping, ensuring a safe work environment, and will independently perform tasks as outlined by the supervisor or manager. This position within the Automotive segment of the Performance Coatings Group is located in Warrensville Heights, Ohio, and is contained within the Vehicle Refinish Maintenance of Business Team.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Contributes to the design and execution of experiments, analyzes data, draws conclusions, and makes recommendations.
- Meets with project leaders as needed.
- Develops broader company and industry knowledge.
- Establishes time lines for assignments based on priorities.
- Complies with test methods according to set standards.
- Documents all formulation processes.
- Functions with supervision and writes basic reports, outlines procedures used and results obtained.
- Completes proper forms and documents when necessary.
- Attends quality, safety, technical meetings, and seminars as necessary.
- Complies with all safety and security regulations and maintains a clean work area.
- Communicates with internal as well as external customers.
- Manages work in accordance with time line goals.
- Adheres to company safety and quality standards at all times.
- Additional duties as assigned.
o High School Diploma or equivalent
o High School Diploma with 2 semesters General Chemistry
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge of basic math skills
- Computer knowledge for basic inputting, communication, and data analysis
- Knowledge of basic coating concepts and property calculations.
- Familiarity with scientific principles, products, and/or processes
- 1 year of lab experience
2. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to sit, stand, hear, and see on a constant basis.
- Must be able to walk, write, and type on a frequent basis.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to climb and descend stairs.
- Must be able to bend, carry, reach, push, and pull on an occasional basis.
- May work indoors and outdoors as needed. Exposure to heat up to 120 degrees and cold to 0 degrees.
- Some travel to other locations, meetings, and/or seminars is required.
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing.
- May work in areas where toxic, flammable, and hazardous materials are present.
- Work surfaces may include concrete.
- Employee must be able to operate a computer and communicate via telephone.
- Employee must be able to tolerate non-toxic paint odors and be able to wear a respirator as required.
- May work in areas where noise level is such that hearing protection is required.
- Must be able, with or without reasonable accommodation, to determine the difference between colors.
- May be exposed to varying amounts of dust and dirt.
- Technical understanding and knowledge in industrial chemistries
- Organizational skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Working knowledge of basic lab equipment
- Basic computer skills; Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS- 5%
- Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent.