Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
The Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) Research Team brings together a world-class team of researchers, developers, and engineers to create the future of AR and VR, which together will become as universal and essential as smartphones and personal computers are today. Immersive AR and VR experiences rely on rich, multi-sensory feedback, of which audio is a critical part. The primary role of this internship is to conduct research in analyzing and characterizing the sounds of interactions with everyday objects, with the goal of synthesizing, in real time, sounds of interaction with virtual objects.Our internships are twelve (12) to twenty four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
- Design and conduct experiments to elicit and capture real-world sounds for relevant types of physical interaction.
- Identify and implement key methods for audio signal analysis to characterize sounds from real-world objects.
- Investigate and prototype real-time sound synthesis algorithms capable of generating high-fidelity audio feedback for a variety of virtual object interactions.
- Collaborate with researchers across multiple disciplines and teams to develop an integrated experience demonstrating key results.
- Synthesize research results to be published in a top-tier academic conference or journal.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD in the field of digital audio, computational acoustics, sound mechanics, tribology, computer science, or related field.
- Strong foundational knowledge of methods and algorithms for digital audio processing, signal processing, time/frequency analysis, and digital filters.
- Experience programming and implementing audio analysis and synthesis algorithms in MATLAB or C/C++.
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration.
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]