Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs Research is dedicated to the research and development required to bring virtual and augmented reality to billions of people around the world. We have an optics research internship available, working with our multidisciplinary Brain-Computer-Interface (BCI) team at Facebook’s Menlo Park office, where we are developing novel wearable neural interface technologies.
Our internship is twelve (12) to twenty-four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
- Design and perform diffuse optics experiments to enable next generation functional near-infrared spectroscopy instruments
- Design and assemble fiber-coupled and free-space electro-optical systems
- Perform data acquisition and analysis
- Perform physical optics simulations
- Write reports and present to the team
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining a PhD in Optics, Biomedical Optics, Physics, or related field
- Experience with experimental optics and laboratory work on setting up of proof-of-concept systems and performance evaluation
- Experience with lasers, fiber optics, and electronics
- Experience with troubleshooting hardware systems, including debug and testing
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]