Join Illumina’s Data Solutions team within Product Development and play a lead role in the design and development of cutting-edge next generation data and analysis platforms to unlock the power of the genome – to transform healthcare and beyond.
As a bioinformatics scientist, you will be part of an innovative, dynamic, and adaptive organization supporting new and on-market cloud-based products that streamline the generation, analysis, aggregation, and extraction of insights from genomic data. This crucial role collaborates with cross-functional teams to design and implement genomic data analysis workflows, perform ad-hoc analyses of data, and research approaches for visualization of analysis results. As part of our data solutions team, you will be a main contributor to the development of robust, scalable, cloud software product that support customers of Illumina’s NGS platforms with secondary and tertiary data analysis.
Skills and experience
- MSc or PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, medical informatics, or a related field;
- 5+ years demonstrated experience analyzing genetic and genomic data in one of the fields of rare genetic disorders, infectious diseases, or oncology;
- familiarity with tools and visualizations such as IGV/UCSC Genome Browser, COSMIC Cancer Browser;
- excellent knowledge of secondary analyses pipelines for DNA-seq, RNA-seq, and array data (SNP, aCGH, gene expression);
- demonstrated experience in cohort analysis and meta-analysis, such as GWAS and PheWAS;
- familiarity with tools and libraries such as PLINK, Hail, Bioconductor;
- proficiency in two of these programming languages: Python, Java, R, and SQL;
- experience writing Jupyter Notebook documents desired;
- hands-on experience with deep learning technologies (Tensorflow, Keras) desired;
- experience with electronic medical record systems and data standards such as GA4GH, CDISC, OMOP, is a plus but not required;
- experience with cloud software development (Docker/Kubernetes, Apache Kafka) is a plus but not required.
- Research, design, and prototype complex genomic data analysis workflows in support of our data solutions products;
- work closely with our software development teams on design and implementation of architecture, workflows, and algorithms;
- design and implement strategies for data normalization and harmonization;
- collaborate with team members to identify novel data assets that extend our analysis capabilities into new disease areas;
- provide ad-hoc data analysis support for internal and external projects.
At Illumina, we strive to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace by cultivating an environment in which everyone contributes to our mission. Built on a strong foundation, Illumina has always been rooted in openness, collaboration, and seeking alternative views and perspectives to propel innovation in genomics. We are proud to confirm a zero-net gap in pay, regardless of gender, ethnicity, or race. We also have several Employee Resource Groups (ERG) that deliver career development experiences, increase cultural awareness, and demonstrate our collective commitment to diversity and inclusion in the communities we live and work. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you require accommodation to complete the application or interview process, please contact [email protected] To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf