At Microsoft, our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As a part of that, we are expanding our US East Coast presence and seeking a motivated and intellectually curious Business Program Manager for the Charlotte Engineering organizations to drive impact at scale, advocate a One Microsoft mindset, and serve as a champion for our employees in Charlotte, North Carolina. This a unique career opportunity for a business manager that combines technical capability, business insights, internal/external marketing, and leadership in employee experience.
This role will shape Microsoft’s engineering engagement strategy and the experience of our employees in Charlotte. The Engineering Site’s Business Program Manager will develop and implement strategic plans and manage budget for:
- Internal employee experience across all software engineering teams and roles: including site morale, employee resource groups, employee education programs, local training for software engineering disciplines, growth series, executive speakers series, Giving campaign, and minor changes to physical engineering spaces
- External community engagement to engage all software engineering teams in the Charlotte community: including engagement with local/regional non-profits, hackathons, Meetups, potentially conferences, local university engagement and partnerships, open houses, oversight and participation in campus social media presence, and expanded STEM pipeline such as DigiGirlz tech camp and high school programs
- Connecting with local Charlotte software engineering talent through events and partnerships to grow the front-of-funnel: lead events to connect with perspective candidates and raise awareness of local software engineering and program management roles
This position reports to the campus engineering senior leader for Microsoft Charlotte and partners closely with local site leaders, local engineering managers, other east coast site leaders and engineering site business managers and stakeholders in Atlanta, Raleigh, Reston VA, New York, and Cambridge, human resources, recruiting, and more. This person will act as an advisor for local leadership and help deliver on a plan for engaging the region’s ecosystems and shaping an innovation culture.
We seek a highly resourceful, self-driven individual with passion for partnering, detailed execution, and influencing others to drive impact. Our ideal candidate cares deeply about creating a vibrant and inclusive work environment for all.
- Establish and maintain rhythm of the business (RoB) that drives execution of core business priorities and encourages best practice sharing among development centers
- Support and participate in strategic initiatives or cross-group projects contributing to the overall strategy. Create and implement accurate plans. Develop success metrics and communication approach for these initiatives and projects
- Partner with corporate communications and local teams to deliver on an internal communication (meetings, presentations, milestones, etc.) and external communication (university engagement, customer, partner, PR, etc.) strategy that reinforces Microsoft’s values, brand, and presence on the East Coast
- Partner with leaders, HR, Microsoft Garage, and D&I champs to shape and influence a positive, inclusive, and innovative culture at our development centers
- Maintain relationships with peers outside the team to ensure cross-group strong collaboration
- Serve as strategic advisor to the site leadership counsel to the and site leaders in the region
- 6+ years in a program management, project management, engineering lead, finance, technical sales or technical advisor role
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience
- Experience managing budget equal to or greater than $1M
- Ability to travel 5%-10%
- Experience working with distributed teams
- Experience dealing with ambiguity, creating vision and solutions
About our Charlotte site:
Microsoft first opened our Charlotte Site in 1990 and employs approximately 1,700 people at our 22-acre campus in South Charlotte, just over the NC/SC boarder. Local job opportunities vary widely from internal IT to technical support, consulting, technical sales, account management and software engineering roles. Many of our roles can be configured in a variety of flexible work arrangements including telework/ work from home, part-time, and job share, and Microsoft is consistently rated as a leading technology company and a great place to work.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.