This person will be responsible for developing changes and providing engineered solutions to complex problems. This position provides mechanical and /or electrical skills in product development, manufacturing support, and troubleshooting with the maintenance of the Packaged Rooftop Product Line. This position also provides recommendations for improving the design and efficiency of the product. In addition, this position requires interfacing with Marketing, Product Selection Program, Application Engineering, Product Management, Manufacturing, and with external resources.
How you will do it
- Reviews product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, cost targets, and related specifications.
- Coordinates activities concerned with technical developments, scheduling, and resolving engineering design and test problems.
- Evaluates and approves design changes, specifications, and drawing releases.
- Follows priority and direction for changes / additions to the product.
- Communicates status of projects and application stability.
- Coordinates preparation and delivery of project deliverables, and design documents.
- Ability to assimilate and provide recommendations with new and emerging technologies.
- Flexibility to work within a variety of development and product teams.
- Adheres to the Company’s Code of Conduct and Business Ethics Standards.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field and a minimum of four (4) years of related experience required.
- In the absence of a Bachelors degree in Engineering or related field, a minimum of eight (8) years of related experience is needed.
- Necessary computer skills include proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite Applications (Word, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint).
- Experience with Cero / ProE or other paramedic design tools is beneficial.
- Must be able to communicate and understand technical material produced by engineers, programmers, designers, drafters, and marketing personnel.
- Possess a strong math and/or engineering background.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to work on more than one project at a time with exceptional attention to detail.
- HVAC knowledge is highly recommended.
Johnson Controls International plc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/careers.
Other jobs you may like
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Lake Forest, IL currently has an opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Engineer.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Senior Mechanical Engineer within Abbott Transfusion by being a Subject Matter Expert in technical aspects of the organization’s instrumentation platforms. The position comprises mechanical designing and System Integration responsibilities within an R&D team by supporting and developing Transfusion testing platforms.
- Mechanical Design aspects of the role require Solid Works modeling and part detailing with tolerance analysis of complex designs , leading and collaborating with cross functional teams in order to obtain successful mechanical designs on medical equipment System Integration aspects of the role include developing new product designs and design improvements on instrumentation in the medical device field. Writing & executing system integration test protocols, developing new instrument procedures and analyzing performance data will be essential to the role.
- Travel accounts for approximately 15% of the job, though this number can significantly increase in times of elevated activity.
- Be a Subject Matter Expert in technical aspects of the instrumentation platforms
- Provides leadership and guidance to junior team members
- Identifies, confirms and interprets interacting causes & effects behind instrument issues, discrepancies, problems or complaints in accordance with governing procedures
- Advanced troubleshooting across multiple system functions (hardware and software or hardware and assay performance problems).
- Lead internal investigations into technical issuesand lab instrument issues
- Devises root cause hypotheses and confirms instrument issues, discrepancies, problems or complaints in accordance with governing procedures.
- Leads & supports technical documentation.
- Authors and verifies technical documentation
- Assists with design for serviceability and supportability of engineering designs
- Provide input into the design of new products and product improvements.
- Create study protocols and review with stakeholders to align with program objectives.
- Execute study protocols following good lab practices to align with Abbott Quality procedures to support design changes and product improvements
- Applies quantitative methods, analyzes data, evaluates results, forms conclusions and provides/implements improvements.
- Record and communicate experimental results to technical personnel with diverse scientific backgrounds.
- Perform all duties in compliance with appropriate regulations and company policies
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
- Defines investigative paths for and confirms Complaint Handling investigations to closure.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or life sciences
- Minimum 6 years’ Experience in a Biosciences or Engineering capacity
- 10 years experience in Solid Works developing mechanical designs and models to eliminate part interferences and use of CETOL tolerance stack up methods for manufacturability. Use of Design for Simplicity to minimize use of fasteners and simplify assemblies.Knowledge of electro-mechanical, optical, thermal,and fluidic systems
- Experience planning and executing hardware / software integration activities
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
Paid time off
401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
Other jobs you may like
The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for manufacturing sustaining activities and new product introduction of DNA sequencing instruments. The position requires problem solving, testing, designing test fixtures using Solidworks, documentation, and perform qualification of critical optical components and sub-assemblies which integrate into a larger, complex DNA sequencing instruments. The role requires one to lead continuous improvements, cost reduction, and outsourcing efforts while interfacing with other functional team such as development engineering team, supply chain, quality engineering, supplier quality engineering and process engineering team in Hayward, Foster City, San Diego, Singapore. Not to mention collaboration with external suppliers and contract manufacturers who build our submodules. Within the product development process (PDP) of new product introduction (NPI) functions, the role requires defining engineering specifications and requirements, test and characterization, and generation of production documentation. Finally, the learning and information will be used to develop and present reports that communicate manufacturing issues, problem solving approach, and its solutions to an audience. Clear written and oral communication is critical to the success of the role.
- Responsible for manufacturing sustaining to drive continuous improvements, cost reduction, and outsourcing efforts.
- Work with other functional groups, e.g. manufacturing, process, electrical, quality, regulatory, development and etc. to solve problems.
- Design opto-mechanical test fixtures using Solidworks.
- Participate in troubleshooting, problem solving, failure analysis, root cause, and corrective action processes as required.
- Create and conduct verification & validation protocols to qualify new or improved materials, processes, or products.
- Represent Life Cycle Management in Project Core Teams to release quality products into manufacturing and incorporate new designs into life sciences instruments.
- Manage and coordinate ECO (Engineering Change Order) implementation activities such as material disposition, update work instructions and test requirement.
- Documentation responsibilities include generating detailed engineering drawings, Bill of Materials, test reports, assembly procedures and design validation plans.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering with 7 years of relevant experience, or
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering with 5 years of relevant experience.
- Solidwork experience designing test fixtures required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Can work and adapt quickly to a fast pace and collaborative environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to respond quickly and remain flexible to changes in projects.
- Comfortable interacting closely with other functional teams like Development, Manufacturing, Quality, Regulatory, Supply Chain and etc.
- Desire to continuously improve oneself and not happy with status quo.
- Complete ownership of task from start to finish.
- Self-starter who prioritizes own work with minimal guidance.
- Demonstrate experience with characterization and testing of complex precision assemblies, including design of experiments and root cause analysis, is required.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills and the ability to effectively balance multiple priorities.
- Open and flexible in a very dynamic environment.
- Experience with FDA regulated medical device a plus.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you require accommodation to complete the application or interview process, please contact [email protected] To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf