Senior Sourcing Engineer
Careers that Change Lives
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career.
Day in the life:
- Lead supplier evaluation, selection, development, qualification, and product launch ramp-up aligned
with commodity and development strategies. Accountable for completing source selection with
commodity teams in alignment with commodity strategies & preferred supplier segmentation.
- Provide front line negotiation with knowledge of commodity strategies and an ability to influence
design/technology/source decisions. This will be done with a view of total cost of ownership.
- Identify and communicate sourcing risks early in the development cycle to drive mitigating designs
and or focused supplier development.
- Closely partner with R&D to identify potential new sources in Technologies to support growth
business objectives and technology roadmap advancement
- Document & manage overall project sourcing strategies.
- Track and manage improvements in procured component supply risk, quality, material cost, and
response / lead time for the full device procured bill of material.
- Report out at each progressive development stage gate.
- Manage material demands and sourcing within NPD.
- Manage and coordinate all sourcing project deliverables in support of product development.
- Lead Supplier DRM efforts for NPD projects by becoming an expert in Supplier products and
processes. Work with R&D and Supplier Quality to ensure Critical to Quality product requirements
- Develop the value stream and assist with the transfer to sustaining.
- Provide post launch support as needed.
- Travel required up to 25%.
- Provides technical engineering expertise and leadership to the Supply Management organization and
suppliers, serving as the technical liaison between Medtronic design requirements and suppliers’
technical capability to assure that robust margins are achieved and maintained.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related technical field
- 4+ years of relevant experience with Bachelors Degree OR 2+ years of relevant experience with an Advanced Degree
- Must have project management skills
- Must have communication, leadership, interpersonal and team building skills
- Influence skills to achieve results across a matrix organization
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize changes while consistently meeting customer
- Broad technical knowledge / background
- Negotiation skills
- Lean Sigma experience a plus
- Experience in medical device or regulated industry a plus.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life.
We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.