- A passion for people management and mentorship.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related field.
- Proven experience managing back-end and service-oriented software systems.
- Proven experience developing and executing a software roadmap.
- Proven experience leading highly-skilled software engineering teams.
- Proven experience building teams and recruiting software engineers.
- Proven experience creating scalable, high performance web applications.
- Fluent in at least one modern programming language such as C++, C#, or Java.
Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle Enterprise Publishing, and Amazon Publishing all need to list their books for sale for various formats including digital and print. A Software Development Manager on the newly-formed Books Publishing Team helps these business ensure authors and publishers can list their books for sale. In this role, you manage a team of software development engineers and support engineers to ensure that all books are listed for sale quickly and accurately.
To be successful you will need to be able to keep the long-term objectives in mind while guiding the team through short-term obstacles. You drive to develop the careers of your developers, improve our development processes, remove bottlenecks and friction, and allow the team to move at a fast pace. You will need to collaborate closely with business leads, product owners, technical program managers, designers and partner teams. You are comfortable with a degree of ambiguity and are always open to identifying alternative paths.
What does an ideal Software Development Manager candidate look like? First, you have demonstrated strong technical, project management, and leadership skills by leading a team of software engineers to develop products used by millions of people every day. You love attracting and growing high caliber-talent, and have a record of accomplishment to prove it.
- Responsible for the over-all systems development life cycle management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments; Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Collaborating closely with senior leaders across the Books organization to influence and drive broader product and technical strategy alignment
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
We are located in beautiful San Luis Obispo, CA, where most of the year is shorts weather, beaches are minutes away, there is an abundance of outdoor activities (hiking, kayaking, surfing) and you’re surrounded by wine country.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
- 5+ years of experience in people management.
- Deep hands-on technical expertise; prior experience as a software developer or software development manager preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences including tech and non-tech peers.
- Ability to handle multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment Ability to navigate ambiguity and delivery incrementally to the right direction.
- A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time.
- Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability, and performance.
“How to Find a Job” Books
We may earn a commission if you click on some of the links below and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.
Do you have the right kind of job? How should implementation be staged? Where are you prepared to go for a job? What are the main goals of your job club? Is building culture possible with a remote team?
Defining, designing, creating, and implementing a process to solve a challenge or meet an objective is the most valuable role… In EVERY group, company, organization and department.
Breakthrough Remote Job: Earn rewards for answering questions on products you already used and love. Products such as Microsoft, Linkedin, WordPress, Postmates, Samsung Galaxy Phones, Air BnB etc.
Earn rewards for answering questions on products you already used and love.
Products such as Microsoft, Linkedin, WordPress, Postmates, Samsung Galaxy Phones, Air BnB etc.
I earn weekly for helping WordPress customers with their problems. My job is to reply emails, chat customers and answer questions, most of which we already have answers to in our HUB and forum.
You can join too as it is available to anyone of any age worldwide.
For too long our lives have been dominated by the ‘under one roof’ Industrial Revolution model of work. That era is now over. There is no longer a reason for the daily roll call, of the need to be seen with your butt on your seat in the office. The technology to work remotely and to avoid the daily grind of commuting and meetings has finally come of age, and bestselling authors Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson are the masters of making it work at tech company 37signals. Remote working is the future – and it is rushing towards us.
Why Working-From-Anywhere-Companies Attract the Best Talent: A Guide for Companies, Employees and Remote Job Seekers
If your dream job is not related to a location, an office or a cubicle farm, then this book is for you. Look at a job in a totally new way and start enjoying life while being more productive.
Employers will like this book and embrace working-from-anywhere to have more engaged employees, attract top talent and save big on the bottom line.