At Johnson & Johnson Vision (JJV), we have a bold ambition: to change the trajectory of eye health. That’s why, through our operating companies, we’ve developed solutions for every stage of life—to help people see better, connect better and live better. We partner with eye care professionals to provide some of the world’s leading products and technologies to address refractive error, cataracts, dry eye, and beyond. We are committed to using our reach and size for good, and strive to put quality eye care within reach of everyone, everywhere. Visit us at www.jjvision.com. Follow @JNJVision on Twitter and Johnson & Johnson Vision on LinkedIn.
JJV is recruiting for Sr. Director, JJV Technology and Equipment Development. Ideally, this position will be located in Jacksonville, FL. Limerick, Ireland will also be considered.
Reporting to the JJV Product Management and Engineering VP, this Executive will have global responsibility for the development of technology for deployment within the internal and external manufacturing network of J&J Vision to deliver against new product requirements and ongoing operational efficiency / growth targets. Will have global oversight of capital equipment design & associated regulatory standards to ensure equipment compliance & fitness for purpose. Will have technical leadership for acquisition and integration of new technology platforms. Directs technical activities in alignment with business objectives in the areas of equipment design & technology identification, development & deployment. Possesses a high degree of technical competence across multiple engineering disciplines (materials, mechanical, electrical, software & controls, safety, etc). Possesses significant people leadership and talent development skills to recruit, develop, manage, motivate, and train a highly effective technical team, developing all necessary goals and objectives, strategies, and governance methods to track and deliver upon aligned goals. Personally, leads strategic technical projects and programs, as necessary. Develops business plans and manages capital and expense budgets. Establishes and maintains cross-functional relationships across the breadth of the JJV organization in pursuit of business objectives.
- Develops engineering and technology strategies, in alignment and support of business objectives, justifies staffs, and oversees programs and projects supporting those strategies, manages progress through appropriate governance and metrics, addresses roadblocks and opportunities, communicates updates to business leaders, and delivers on commitments.
- Directs / leads technical activities across the areas of technology identification, development & deployment to ensure JJV retains a competitive advantage in respect of automated manufacturing solutions; develops & implements robust equipment design principles to ensure long term asset performance; partners with external technology providers to allow influence on development focus & enabling early adoption within J&J.
- Engages with new product development (NPD) teams to ensure a robust, capable, and sustainable supply chain. Partners cross-functionally to lead / influence the development and execution of project CTQs and timing, SC strategy, and technical milestones in pursuit of the NPD business objectives.
- Recruits, develops, manages, trains, and motivates a highly proficient group of technical professionals in pursuit of company goals. Leverages technical talent within and outside of immediate organization to maximize efficiencies, ensure appropriate SME skills are available, and capitalize on significant opportunities or address significant issues.
- Ensures robust succession planning and staff development process is established across J&J Vision to ensure appropriate bench strength.
- Engages in J&J Enterprise technology development forums and benchmark other MD, Consumer & Pharma business for best practices.
- Internal partnerships include:
- Global Engineering: Engagement with J&J enterprise engineering team to support development of & implementation of J&J global standards.
- R&D: Understands product development pipeline & associated technology roadmap requirements to ensure design for manufacture requirements are achieved and manufacturing technology is available to enable seamless development & product launch.
- Manufacturing Operations: Continuous monitoring of deployed technology & key learnings to feedback into equipment design and technology development roadmaps; deep understanding of asset replacement & capacity expansion roadmap; collaboration to ensure robust hand-off between solution design & solution delivery into the manufacturing setting.
- Occupational Health / EH&S: Implementation of latest global legislation in respect of equipment build standards & development of/ adoption of J&J global machinery safety guidelines.
- IT: Implementation of latest Enterprise IT standards to equipment & SCADA level architecture; support development of future state guidelines & requirements for manufacturing networks.
- Product Management: Understanding or product portfolio & NPI roadmap, engagement in strategic programs manager through Product Management PMO team.
- Finance: Management of capital appropriation process for J&J Vision, financial reporting & audit support.
- Global Procurement / Legal: Ensures robust & preferential development agreements are in place to protect process & technology IP rights with chosen development partners.
- Builds relationship with J&J Enterprise technology groups – develops and maintains partnerships with external companies that will allow J&J Vision engineering capability to be expanded beyond internal capabilities to leverage specialist skillsets.
- Builds suitable external relationships with trade bodies, universities, as well as:
- Capital Equipment Suppliers: develops & maintains partnerships with key capital equipment design and build solution providers, implement master services agreements / development agreements where appropriate with support from global procurement & legal, engage new suppliers as required for specific capabilities, monitor and report on supplier performance via quarterly business reviews
- OEM Manufacturers: develops & maintain partnerships with key OEMs to gain early access to latest technology & to ensure J&J Vision technology requirements are fed into the OEM development lifecycle.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required, preferably in Engineering discipline; MBA or Master’s degree is preferable
- 20+ years in Technology Development / Engineering Development is required, preferably in Medical Devices or Pharmaceuticals
- Broad-based knowledge of engineering disciplines is required, particularly in Software & Controls, Mechanical, Electrical, Pneumatics, Materials, Process, and Product Design
- Significant leadership & development experience of senior technical engineering staff
- Significant experience in technology assessment & deployment
- Significant experience of capital equipment design for high MTBF, MTTF, 24:7 production
- Significant experience of 3rd party vendor/supplier management & cultivating external relationships
- Significant experience of product & process development within a design-controlled environment
- Strong project management skills
- Strong collaboration skills & an ability to navigate organizational complexity
- Experience working in a global setting and strong cultural awareness
- Knowledge of injection molding
- Knowledge of high-speed precision machining
- Knowledge of discrete assembly
- Knowledge of high-speed packaging
- Knowledge of Process Excellence / Six-Sigma theories & practice
- Minimum 15 years of people management experience
- Experience in managing remote teams
- Ability to travel globally and domestically 40% annually is required
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. (6094)