Sr. Optical Engineer, Interiors Engineering
Tesla is looking to hire a rock-star optical and simulation engineer to push the boundaries of lighting, optics and surface aesthetics on future lighting R&D projects. Working alongside the most creative and resourceful designers and engineers in the world on a lean and agile team, You will be responsible for full-system design, from concept definition at the industrial design phase, to prototype creation, production design release and launch for multiple lighting executions across all Tesla programs.
- Engineer, develop and execute world-class interior lighting systems that meet styling intent and are compliant to regulatory requirements.
- Work through the entire product cycle with critical input early in development by collaborating with Tesla’s design/styling teams.
- Developing new novel designs that will enable new technology adopting that align with the design theme and compliance standards.
- Participate in the iterative process with all stakeholders to deliver the optimal balance of form, function, performance and cost.
- Direct Tesla and supplier engineering development to enable successful execution.
- Maintain all required product development documentation
- Work with cross functional integration of lighting systems with the Tesla design/styling team, engineering teams such as body, exteriors, 12V electronics and manufacturing as well as with Tesla supply chain teams and supplier engineers to achieve technical feasible designs.
- First principles, physics based thinker and problem solver able to handle problems of varied scope and complexity
- R&D experience in optical system development with a minimum of 5 years and at least 2 product cycles with cutting edge lighting/optical module design with a strong preference for experience with full LED lighting systems.
- Knowledge of optics and lens design with expertise in optical simulation (SPEOS or LucidShape preferred)
- Clear understanding of latest lighting technologies including lightguides, light blades, adaptive systems, human centric lighting, Laser, OLED, Matrix, DMD, etc.
- Demonstrate technical aptitude, creativity in design, and the ability to execute feasible solutions to complex engineering problems.
- Knowledge of optical measurement and characterization systems
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacturing principles including GD&T, assembly and dimensional engineering principles in design.
- Design experience with CATIA V5/V6 strongly preferred.
- Understanding of prototyping and production techniques
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical/Optical engineering (graduate degree preferred).
- Demonstrate exceptional ability, management of difficult projects with tight timing constraints and provide examples of notable achievements throughout your career