DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in recruiting and staffing activities.
- Assist with store merchandising by facilitating and/or participating in staging, stocking and storage of merchandise; ensuring that merchandise is presented according to established practices and store manager direction; and properly utilizing merchandise fixtures, signing and pricing of merchandise.
- Assist in all aspects of inventory management (including proper execution of damages, markdowns, register scanning, paperwork and facility controls); prepare and conduct inventories.
- Follow prescribed ordering practices to ensure the meeting or exceeding of in-stock targets.
- Provide superior customer service leadership.
- Act as a role model by following company procedures and policies as outlined in the employee handbook, SOP manual and company communications.
- Participate in store opening and closing activities.
- Ensure the safe deposit of all company funds in the designated bank.
- Assist in ensuring the financial integrity of the store through strict cashier accountability, key control and adherence to company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Assist in the maintenance of clean, well-stocked stores; provide a safe environment for customers and employees.
- Manage store in store manager’s absence.
- Review operating statements to identify business trends (including sales, labor, profitability, and inventory turn), expense control opportunities, potential shrink, and errors.
- Complete all paperwork and documentation according to guidelines and deadlines.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit controls.
- Ability to learn and perform IBM cash register functions, including those necessary to generate reports.
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE and STARS programs, etc.)
- Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling, and termination practices including legal compliance and internal processes.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Effective organization skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations where limited standardization exists.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred.
- One year of experience in a retail environment preferred for external candidates; four months experience as a Dollar General assistant store manager required for internal candidates.
- Aligns motives, values and beliefs with Dollar General values.
- Supports ownership by tapping into the potential of others.
- Acts as a liaison between the Store Support Center and store employees.
- Fosters cooperation and collaboration.
- Interacts tactfully yet directly with employees and maintains an open forum of exchange.
- Demonstrates responsiveness and sensitivity to customer needs.
- Applies basic principles of retail (i.e., ordering cycles, peak inventories, merchandise flow, etc.).
- Provides continuous attention to development of staff.
- Recruits, hires and trains qualified applicants to fulfill a store need.
- Ensures store compliance to federal labor laws and company policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequent walking and standing.
- Frequent bending, stooping and kneeling to run check out station, stock merchandise and unload trucks.
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as hand-held scanners pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers and carts, two-wheel dollies, and U-boats (six-wheel carts).
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds.
- Occasional climbing (using ladder).
- Occasional driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits, attend management meetings and to other Dollar General stores.
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
Note: This position requires some travel with limited overnight stays
“How to Find a Job” Books
We may earn a commission if you click on some of the links below and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.
Do you have the right kind of job? How should implementation be staged? Where are you prepared to go for a job? What are the main goals of your job club? Is building culture possible with a remote team?
Defining, designing, creating, and implementing a process to solve a challenge or meet an objective is the most valuable role… In EVERY group, company, organization and department.
Breakthrough Remote Job: Earn rewards for answering questions on products you already used and love. Products such as Microsoft, Linkedin, WordPress, Postmates, Samsung Galaxy Phones, Air BnB etc.
Earn rewards for answering questions on products you already used and love.
Products such as Microsoft, Linkedin, WordPress, Postmates, Samsung Galaxy Phones, Air BnB etc.
I earn weekly for helping WordPress customers with their problems. My job is to reply emails, chat customers and answer questions, most of which we already have answers to in our HUB and forum.
You can join too as it is available to anyone of any age worldwide.
For too long our lives have been dominated by the ‘under one roof’ Industrial Revolution model of work. That era is now over. There is no longer a reason for the daily roll call, of the need to be seen with your butt on your seat in the office. The technology to work remotely and to avoid the daily grind of commuting and meetings has finally come of age, and bestselling authors Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson are the masters of making it work at tech company 37signals. Remote working is the future – and it is rushing towards us.
Why Working-From-Anywhere-Companies Attract the Best Talent: A Guide for Companies, Employees and Remote Job Seekers
If your dream job is not related to a location, an office or a cubicle farm, then this book is for you. Look at a job in a totally new way and start enjoying life while being more productive.
Employers will like this book and embrace working-from-anywhere to have more engaged employees, attract top talent and save big on the bottom line.