HR Directions seeks a prospect for its client RTI International for the SUGAR & RTI Global Gender Center Research Assistant Internship within the Social Policy, Health & Economics Research, Center for Global Health – Substance Use Gender & Applied Research group in the Social, Statistical & Environmental Sciences business unit.
The Substance Use, Gender, and Applied Research (SUGAR) program applies a combination of gender-sensitive approaches, including behavioral, bio-behavioral, and implementation research to reduce HIV, gender-based violence, substance use, and other behaviors associated with adverse health consequences among under served and key populations globally, including women, adolescent girls and young women, couples, women who conduct sex work, LGBT+ individuals, people who use alcohol and other drugs, people who inject drugs, and racial and ethnic minorities. The RTI Global Gender Center is made up of nearly 250 affiliates working across RTI’s many practice areas, including experts from local and global external organizations. This community of passionate individuals brings an extensive range of skills and expertise from all subject areas to work toward a world of gender equality.
SUGAR & RTI Global Gender Center Research Assistant Intern will receive a mentored learning experience, and the opportunity to expand their classroom knowledge and skills within a professional setting. Specifically, the intern will assist the SUGAR team with research related tasks on HIV prevention studies, including conducting literature reviews and drafting background sections of scientific manuscripts. The successful intern will also assist with RTI Global Gender Center tasks, including keeping the external-facing website updated, writing gender-related blog posts and RTI project impact stories, and organizing and cleaning databases.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting literature reviews
- Drafting sections for manuscripts, proposals, and ethics review packages
- Preparing presentations
- Assisting with RTI Global Gender Center tasks
- Assisting with other research oriented tasks
RTI’s Internship Program emphasizes experiential and mentored learning experiences, providing students and recent degree recipients an opportunity to apply their academic knowledge and skills in a meaningful and practical way. We are committed to developing the future workforce by encouraging interns to explore various career paths in a nonprofit research institute setting that values diversity and inclusion. Through this program, interns will be exposed to RTI’s open and educational culture; support RTI’s mission to improve the human condition; and build upon their career goals.
This paid virtual internship will take place from October to December 2020. The internship requires a minimum commitment of 30 hours per week. Hours are flexible during business hours, Monday through Friday.
- Recent bachelor’s level graduate (December 2019 or later) in a public health-related field
- Lives in the Triangle area of North Carolina
- Ability to work 30-40 hours a week
- Previous research project experience and in conducting scientific literature reviews
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in scientific writing
- Ability to multitask and work well with deadlines
- Strong interest and commitment to addressing gender inequality
- Maintain a “how can I help” mindset