Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here!
Role and Scope of Position:
Supervises the Distribution System Operations Center, plans, coordinates, directs and supervises switching and tagging; writing, checking and issuing clearances; monitoring of loads, emergency restoration and associated reporting for the electric distribution system within an assigned region. Supervises the coordinates the above activities with ESCC and other regions when system conditions cross jurisdictional lines. Serves as switching director as assigned.
2. Essential Functions:
- Monitors, operates and maintains electronic dispatch system including the operation of SCADA equipment.
- Plans, writes, checks, approves, directs, issues clearances and monitors orders for switching, grounding and tagging instructions for the assigned region’s distribution system.
- Receives trouble calls (tickets) from customer service center, analyzes the problem and initiates corrective action with appropriate district function including call-out of personnel in accordance with established procedures. Directs corrective action as required by timing or circumstances, and informs appropriate system personnel (customer service center, T&D staff, districts, etc.) of problems on the assigned region’s electric distribution system and associated restoration progress.
- Monitors load and voltages on circuits and substation equipment during switching and peak periods to assure loading parameters are not exceeded.
- Implements the assigned region’s emergency disaster plan as required, and assists at district satellites and other regional operation centers during emergency storm restoration as assigned.
- Maintains the regional operations center operation diagram to reflect current system status.
- Operates and maintains database for EDS system (new customers circuit changes, etc.).
- Monitors SCADA, substation, system alarms.
- Coordinates ESCC switching requirements for the assigned region between ESCC system dispatchers and appropriate region and/or district personnel for assigned shift.
- Prepares, disseminates, and maintains the assigned regional operations center records and reports in support of system operations (i.e., circuit and equipment loads, nomenclature, interruption reports, emergency contact telephone numbers for governmental agencies, large customers, other utilities, and others).
- Coordinates with ESCC Black Start Procedure, and emergency load shedding in accordance with current ESCC Operating Instructions and T&D Group Procedures Operating Instructions for assigned shift.
- Supports the Manager to ensure the workload of the shift and all applicable system configurations and risks are discussed for preparation purposes, as well as proper notification if daily workload cannot be accomplished on the assigned shift.
- Trains new Distribution System Operators including assisting in OMS class instruction and switching and tagging procedures to company personnel.
- Develops, writes and maintains, in conjunction with System Operations Engineering, operating instructions for company and customer distribution facilities.
- Operates PC based and mainframe applications.
- Coordinates regional dispatching activities with appropriate Eversource personnel and outside personnel (i.e., other utilities, government agencies, including: police, fire, Department of Environmental Protection, US Coast Guard’s National Response Center, large customer’s plant engineers, etc.)
- Subject to on-call duty.
- Position is responsible to plan and schedule shift coverage, ensuring the safe and reliable operation of the Distribution System, while controlling costs.
- Position is responsible to review distribution system events and ensure proper reporting.
- Communicates new and updated policies and procedures while ensuring compliance.
- Supervises the safe and efficient restoration of Distribution System outages.
- Ability to function under stress of emergency situations for extended periods of time.
- Thorough knowledge of the switching and tagging procedures
- Thorough knowledge of electric distribution system operations.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable PC-based and mainframe applications.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with various levels of the organization and outsiders involved with electric distribution operations.
- Ability to analyze electric distribution system problems and act accordingly.
- Ability to effectively supervise and direct the work of others.
- This position will require 24/7 shift rotation coverage.
Education: Associate’s degree in electrical technology or the equivalent in combined education and experience.
Experience: Five- Ten years of related electrical utility experience. Supervisory experience is preferred.
Licenses & Certification: None
Problem Solving & Complexity:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Please submit a resume with your application.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor