Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description Summary
Innovative thinking, creative problem-solving, and a determination to challenge the status-quo. These are some of the defining qualities for individuals of our Technology Internship Program (TIP). This 10-12 week experience is designed to grow and develop your technology and self-leadership skills. Each internship will consist of a combination of hands-on experience, access to a robust technology curriculum, a formal mentoring program and appealing networking events.
As a Technology intern, with support and guidance you will be expected to engage in meaningful work assignments. You will be expected to participate in informative and gamified activities designed to increase your knowledge of our company, leaders, customers, products and services. Individually or as part of a team you will be expected to positively challenge processes, identify new and innovative ways to get work done more effectively and efficiently. You will be expected to take initiative, embrace change, actively listen to and support diverse points of view and celebrate the success of others. If this is more than you imagined in a career in insurance, we encourage you to join us at Travelers.
The intent of this position is to provide our 2020 Travelers Summer Interns and Summer Students the ability to apply to our 2021 Technology Intern opportunities. Applications outside of this audience will not be considered at this time. However, for additional positions posted at a later date we encourage anyone who was not a Summer Intern or Summer Student between June 2020-August 2020 to apply at that time.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
The internship is multi-faceted and offers a technology and business development curriculum focused on disruptive- technologies, insurance, strategy, leading self and influencing others. Other program components include formal mentoring, networking and career guidance.
Intern duties will vary based on the specific assignment, but will be typically within one of the areas outlined below:
- Solution Delivery –
- Contribute to the overall software design strategy by developing software and implementing and testing automation that enables our products, distribution workflows, and customer, agent and employee experiences.
- With guidance, serve as a liaison between the business and technology to translate business needs to technical deliverables and participate on a team in delivering processes, functionality or products.
- Assist in the planning process by utilizing tools and engaging with teams to create presentations that illustrate the overall plan.
- Other duties include but are not limited to: managing and troubleshooting defects, answering technical questions, conducting maintenance and assisting with triage to post release work items.
- In partnership with others, design, build and implement foundational technologies that enable the development of business solutions.
- Work in parallel with Engineers, Product Owners and Scrum Masters to deliver key functionality (e.g., cloud engineering, software pipelines, etc.)
- Provide operational support (e.g., conduct perimeter traffic monitoring, application security scanning), troubleshooting and maintenance of Security related processes, controls and/or products.
- As part of a team, analyze and resolve security related issues (e.g., improper attempts to access or infiltrate our networks).
- User Experience –
- Work with teams to ensure a user-centered design approach is leveraged when developing solutions. Adhere to and promote User Experience best practices.
- Research, design and test digital experiences.
- Create artifacts that include personas, journey maps, user workflows, information architecture, wireframes, and interactive prototypes.
- In partnership with team members, provide architectural guidance, technology recommendations and strategies to support target state architecture as we develop solutions (e.g. frameworks, utilities, models).
- Solution Delivery –
- Obtained or pursuing a technology or business-related undergraduate degree with technology minor; or a graduate degree with a technology minor; or the successful completion of an accredited or state-licensed accelerated technical learning program in technology teaching foundational software development skills.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
Pursuing an Associates or Bachelor’s degree with a preferred major/minor in:
- Computer Science
- Management Information Systems
- Data Science
- Design and Human Factors
- Cumulative GPA requirement of 3.0 or higher preferred.
- Exposure to Object-oriented programming (OOP) in one major language.
- Professional experience in technology of three years or less preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical curiosity: Self-starter and motivated to explore new technologies, applications and environments beyond required job and/or educational commitments.
- Learning agility: Demonstrates an aptitude for learning and applying new capabilities.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Technical capability: Entry-level programming and system analysis.
- Ability to evaluate new tasks and provide status updates.
- Time Management: ability to manage time and competing priorities.
- Leadership: ability to lead self and influence others.
- Change management/resilience: Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Emotional intelligence: demonstrates self and social awareness, empathy and balances confidence with humility.
- Interpersonal: communicates effectively, is engaging and maintains a positive attitude.
- Judgement/decision making: exercises sound judgement, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Leveraging differences: works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship management: seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Team work: works together in situations when actions are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Work ethic: has a strong drive to do what it takes to get the job done, is inquisitive and demonstrates a strong willingness to learn.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.