Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Thermal Engineer Intern to join our Hardware Engineering team. Our servers and data centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure efficiently operates and upon which our innovative services are delivered. The intern will work closely with design engineers in the team to toughly test and validate our fully customized server hardware.
- Measure thermal performance of servers using proper tools and test plans and qualify operation
- Develop and publish test reports and communicate findings to team members
- Create automated test infrastructure through the use of scripted languages and remotely controlled test equipment
- Analyze and simulate server cooling schemes
- Execute tests according to plan while keeping a thorough procedural record and data log
- Provide input on fan control algorithm optimizations
- Engage hardware team to ensure proper component design
- Diagnose and root cause component failures
- Perform CFD analysis to solve the thermal challenges in the server/storage/network system
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Knowledge of fluid dynamic and heat transfer (conduction/convection/radiation)
- Familiar with lab equipment, data acquisition systems, air flow chambers, and/or environmental chamber
- Coding experience in Python, Matlab, and/or C/C++
- Experience in 3D CAD software, such as SolidWorks
- Troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Communications skills
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]